Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New VFII from "holding yard" - swirl marks pre-delivery?

ShinWow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV 6.2L Manual
Hey guys,

So I'm looking at buying a new SSV and I've made it very clear how pedantic I am when it comes to paint work on the new car and how it must be 110% condition before I take delivery.

We'll the car arrived at the dealership tonight and I snuck over to take a look and I was pretty disappointed with the condition of it.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

The pictures do an okay job of showing the swirl marks and light scuff marks on some of the edges. Something I do not expect on a brand new, $50k car...

I know they'll give it a go over before I take delivery and polish it all up and what-not, but is this normal? Do all cars come from the holding yard in this sort of condition and its not until the 11th hour when it looks all sparkly?

Thanks for any advice.

theott

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf2 ssv redline
I knew the guy I spoke to about doing opti coat said he takes about 5 hours correcting the paint before applying the product. he says he is getting all the swirls ect out from the dealership detail. could be full of it but he sounded believable

bigjim92

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SSVR
Working at a dealer has some advantages, when I ordered my car and mums car, VF2 redlines, we had a note added to the contract that they were not to be "detailed" or touched in anyway.
I saw both cars come off the trucks and was the only one involved with doing anything to the cars.
When I got them home I carefully gave them a thorough wash to evaluate how much work was needed before adding the glass coatings.
I was horrified by the condition of the paint. Scuff marks on the front bumper, swirls and holograms all over the car, the rear diffuser was a mess!
Mums car being white wasn't that bad, I think being a flat color helps hide imperfections. But mine being slip stream blue, no imperfections were hidden.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Unfortunately this is just normal. Average Joe neither cares nor notices, so dealer 'detailing' involves grinding grit into your paint with a filthy sponge.

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
I asked for mine to be left in factory condition with all plastics, i watched it come off the truck and into the yard. As it was dusty from its short trip from Elizabeth to the dealer in Adelaide I said they could give it a light wash/hose down before putting it into the showroom where i picked it up from. I went over the car and the paint was really good. Follow my thread to see the journey. My paint wasnt as bad as yours, has yours been trucked multiple times or moved from dealer to dealer?
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vf/255878-my16-jungle-green-ssv-redline.html

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
I had my dealer not detail it, and had a pro do full correction and preparation, then opticoat.

Being a black car I thought this would ensure no swirl marks, but perhaps the opticoat is not as hard as they suggest as I have swirl marks now.

ShinWow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV 6.2L Manual
Thanks for the replies guys. Makes me feel a little less worried knowing that they pretty much all are like this.

Holden tried to sell me on paint protection (GTECHNIQ) for 2 grand at first, which I declined. Now I'm looking at this: Paint Protection | Window Tinting | Car Window Tinting Sydney |Office Window Tinting | Universal Tint & Auto Centre - 3M Window Tinting, Safety films, Security films, Decorative films, automotive accessories, paint protection, tow bars, brookvale, ca

Any recommendations on product, or places to get it done in the Sydney/Central Coast area?

Cheers!

@SuperCoach: I did read your thread, its great stuff, but I didn't want to set my expectations too high on how much I can push Holden, as I'm just a customer and not an employee :D I'm not sure on the history of mine, I've been told it was driven from the holding yard to the dealership. As long as its perfect when I pick it up, then I'm not too worried about what has happened before hand. Can't help but assume the worst, like they take it out for burnouts on a Saturday night or something :p

eman1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
I highly recommend envious car care at the end of the M1 at beresfield.

Blake has done my last 2 cars and done a great job.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
It's going back to May '99 when I ordered my white VE International, I instructed them when it arrived (A month later) they were to call me exactly as it arrived.....No washing, nothing, zilch, zero.
The very pleasant sales guy called and said two white ones as well as red and black were coming off the truck from SA now but I must warn you they are dusty........Good said I, I'll be right over.
Yep they were dusty but looked good, so I requested a wash only or I was happy to wash it......It was washed and was gleaming when I picked it up.
They more than likely thought I was mad...perhaps I am, but I got what I paid good money for.

Still have the VE and it still has not a single mark on the body. I wash it, chamois it as needed and very lightly polish it with a soft cloth about every 3 months. I just use Turtle wax.