Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

NVRAM 11p tuning discussion thread.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Turned fault code 21 off today, and moved fuel cut minimum speed up to 204kms. Power mode has blm's disabled. And I played with the power fuel map yesterday.
All in preparation for racing this weekend.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Turned fault code 21 off today, and moved fuel cut minimum speed up to 204kms. Power mode has blm's disabled. And I played with the power fuel map yesterday.
All in preparation for racing this weekend.
Videos of said racing please :)

In other news the Mrs and I are going road tuning this weekend (she finally got a weekend off) while I man the laptop and live tune....I'm not scared...I'm not scared...I'm not scared :p

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Videos of said racing please :)

In other news the Mrs and I are going road tuning this weekend (she finally got a weekend off) while I man the laptop and live tune....I'm not scared...I'm not scared...I'm not scared :p
It's 174km's to the dragstrip, so have wrangled my 17 y/o nephew into co-driving and manning the laptop on the drive.
We can discuss tuning and try things for 2hours, lol

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
This is where you need to look. The V8 only uses the high speed fan setting (as the auxiliary fan for the AC condenser).

1662197771312.png

There is only a ON setting with a hard programmed hysteresis which means (as I understand it), the fan will turn off 7 degrees below the ON temp.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
^ That,

@Deuce Also make sure you pack shorter bolts for the water pump pulley (or a lot of washers), the standard ones will bottom out on the pump housing without the fan.

I had to get shorter ones when I put my BF fan in.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
^ That,

@Deuce Also make sure you pack shorter bolts for the water pump pulley (or a lot of washers), the standard ones will bottom out on the pump housing without the fan.

I had to get shorter ones when I put my BF fan in.
Yeap, I have the shorter ones in the travel toolbox for it.
I didn't get around to trying this though, as I was working to get the shifts in the right spots (and was always working the wrong cells until before my very final run).
I added a degree of timing in the upper rpm / high load quadrant and it seemed to take it fine, so that can stay in.

Reactions: Lex

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
REAL VEHICLE SPEED!
So, with my diff ratio and tyre size the dash reads about 3% higher than actual which is good and I'm happy.
But ECU is way off which was making it hard for setting shift points at the drag strip and comparing logs to timeslips etc.
Have previously tried the road speed (engine) and road speed (trans) values but the closer one gets, the more it is thrown out once the other is closer. It's like a set ratio thing between them - very weird indeed.
So today I changed my VSS 4l60e setting from the correct 40tooth and lied to the ECU that it is 43 tooth.
Speedo unchanged (good)
Trans code spot on to gps speed (well within a km once road speed code was lifted .0002 and engine code left unchanged)
So now race track tuning should be easier, and everyday shifts should happen a little later (I was noticing 3-4 shift 80kph was a bit soon at moderate throttle heavy load (trailer) situations. I felt this was better after the change.

I should probably go back and drop WOT shift points by a corresponding amount.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Ooooooooh, this changes everything.

I've got a speedo corrector for mine which fixes that issue, but I hate having to do quick math in my head with speeds when tuning other aspects of the car (particularly shift points and TCC engage/release).

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Ooooooooh, this changes everything.

I've got a speedo corrector for mine which fixes that issue, but I hate having to do quick math in my head with speeds when tuning other aspects of the car (particularly shift points and TCC engage/release).
What changes are on yours for computed speed error?
I have 3.45 diff and 25.7" tall tyres (stock 3.08 and 25.3" respectively)