Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

OBD / Can simple logic controller

hjtrbo

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T / HJ Ute / VF2 R8
Hi all,

Similar to what could be done with an Adruino (CBF), does anyone know of an off the shelf box that can has a few external inputs / outputs, can poll the vehicles OBD data and then allow you to create logic...

I.e
Code:
If RPM > 550rpm & Oil_Pressure < 150kPa then Alarm

If RPM > 550rpm & Fuel_Pressure < 300kPa then Alarm

If RPM > 1200rpm & EQ_Commanded < 0.85 then _3sec_Timer_Start
If _3sec_Timer_Done and EQ_Actual > 0.85 then Alarm

If Alarm then Ring_The_Bell

If Ring_The_Bell & Reset_Button_Pressed then 
          Alarm = False
          Ring_The_Bell = False
End If

Basically ring a bell when you're in engine destruction territory. I don't want the clutter of gauges on the dash or A-pillar so am looking for stealth solution.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
what language are you polling the data with?

the code looks like vb.net/vb6 and if you are looking for something to just output simple obd data over bt/wifi then look at the elm327 interpreter
it simplifies the obd data into AT commands which you can parse in your chosen language.

you can get the cheap elm327 dongle on ebay and connect to it with what ever bluetooth/wifi device you like.

if you are looking for a premade alarm box that does the functions you wish to have then i am not much help with that, maybe ebay or aliexpress?

hjtrbo

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey, not sure on the code of choice yet. I usually use PIC16's so that would be C.

I've used a PIC16F1619 + MCP2515 + L293D stepper drivers in another project and got the data in. I have an appreciation of what is involved. As I'm only a hobby coder it'll take me a good 40 to 60 hours to get this project done (including PCB design).

This time around I was hoping for something off the shelf for a few hundred as I want to have a go at been lazy...

Previous project was for my HJ Belmont Ute... All my own PCB design. Uses 2x 8 bit PICs. 1 is for handling the comms to the Link ECU can bus, data scaling transforms and stepper setpoints, whilst the 2nd pic runs the stepper acceleration / velocity routines and interfaces to the 3x L293D's. The 2 pics are linked up over SPI bus.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
off the shelf i am not sure, if you cant find anything then arduino might be the best way to achieve what you need with either a can shield or the elm327 over bt.

hjtrbo

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Finally found something! The holy grail.

6x digital IO, 6x analog IO, OBD Can. Expandable (wifi, bluetooth, SPI, I2C etc) Programmed with Arduino.

$100, absolute bargain.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Finally found something! The holy grail.

6x digital IO, 6x analog IO, OBD Can. Expandable (wifi, bluetooth, SPI, I2C etc) Programmed with Arduino.

$100, absolute bargain.

very nice find, i might have to get a couple of them.
i like that they have the superb accessory which adds a esp32 to the m2