Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil flush..

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
Just wondering if anyone has tried using the diesel oil idea on the LS1 I`ve heard it been done on ecotecs only so far. if so just use 10~40/50w, been alloy it may cause some problems was my first negative thought.

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
Are you enquiring if the diesel oil will damage the aluminium?

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
just make sure the oil has a cg & sg rating. this means it's safe to use in petrol and diesel.

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
100 mm of kero is the same

pour it in drive for 5 to 10 minutes and then change the oil

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
what does it do? if used?
Just wondering if anyone has tried using the diesel oil idea on the LS1 I`ve heard it been done on ecotecs only so far. if so just use 10~40/50w, been alloy it may cause some problems was my first negative thought.

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
It is supposed to clean the laquers and other crud that builds up in your motor over time plus works like "Lifter Free" to clear any sticky lifters. It is a method that has a large risk to it as diesel is a very light oil which will reduce your oil properties from 20w 50 to about 0w 10 depending on how much you put in. In other words, no lube protection for your motor while it is in there. I have seen motors with 300000Ks on them which looked like new inside because of regular maintenance ie oil changes. I have also seen motors with build up of sludge in them 5mm thick throughout the motor because the owner says " my motor does not use oil, I just top it up now and then". And the reason I was seeing these motors? I worked for Repco engine reconditioners at Bankstown a few years ago. If you want to flush your engine, run 5 liters of cheap or high detergent oil through it for a couple of days then change the oil and filter to what you normally use. I know this is a big post but I could not abbreviate much or it may cause a mis-understanding. I am saying that in my experience, diesel is dangerous as an engine cleaning agent

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Ive seen a good engine seize up because it was filled with diesel oil instead of the proper stuff. Apparently it lasted about half an hour before it let go..The guys missus was driving it at the time,so it wasnt getting a flogging or anything like that.He didnt drive it hard anyway.As already mentioned above,Id try some of that engine cleaner that goes in with the oil.Id also buy a few bottles of cheap brand (motorway) oil and a few cheap oil filters,and change it once a week for a few weeks,that cleans it out. I did this after I had the inlet manifold gasket let go on my VSV6 and I had water in the oil.It cleaned it out excellent.Its done 150,000 k's since then and its still clean.I change the oil and filter every 5000k's.

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
I look at it anotherway!...All that build up of varnish/crap is stuck to the inside of the engine, It is not doing any harm, so why disturb it? Why try to get it circulating back in the oil to go through the system..... Do you vacuum the top of the ceiling inside your house roof cavity?... Do you polish the underside of the vehicle you are so fussy about? ...i doubt it.
The filter is supposed to catch the floaty bits that wear the internals, the bits that doesn't float around just settles harmlessly out of the way, and with correct oil changes there isn't too much of that either.
Instead of rooting around, wasting oil doing 'flushes' , it would be more benificial to do frequent oil/filter changes.

HELL! got that off my chest!....LOL

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
just be warned. engine flushing a neglected engine can often have a negative effect. all that gum and varnish is sometimes the only thing holding the rings together. when you use oil flush you take it all away= smokey,rattley engine