Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oils and Things, Oil Tech Discussion

OldBomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
After switching to 5w-40, adding some lifter free & dumping the transmission fluid, the car seems to be more quiet. no rattling, which indicates the oil pump probably wasn't working efficiently. oil viscosity is very important, it seems.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Oil sample analysis tests are pretty cheap to have done and will give you recommendations, dependant on who does them

Oil recommendations from manufacturers tend to focus on fuel efficiency to make their numbers look good, not on actually engine longevity, especially if you are leaning on it, or, the milage, or, if you have rebuilt the engine with different tolerances, and, what Oil pump your rolling with and what oil pressures you you require

#holistic

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
After switching to 5w-40, adding some lifter free & dumping the transmission fluid, the car seems to be more quiet. no rattling, which indicates the oil pump probably wasn't working efficiently. oil viscosity is very important, it seems.
I ran my alloytec on 5w-40 for 10 years and it was still running like new at 300,000 km when I sold it.
I could pull onto busy road 30 seconds after starting up on a winter morning and it would rev out smoothly, and it also ran fine in 40+ degree heat. Good stuff.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yup, 10w-40 is my go to in the Super6 and we are now at 290,000km and that old girl gets driven hard at times. The manual recommends the 5w-30 same as the LS motor.

wildfiremaint

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS , 2007 Subaru LIBERTY Wagon
i never pre fill not for any reason just because i dont but i see nothing wrong with filling it anyway, not all oil goes thru the filter anyway so its not a drama and the new oil going in is always going to be cleaner then what just came out, also no point filling it if the filter is on the side of an engine as it will half poor out when fitting anyway, but really if ur logging data on my new engine with unfilled filter first start took from the first rpm at cranking to 60psi pressure was about 2 sec and it has 10psi within 1 sec
Prefilling the filter on a 5L has its problems but that is what I do.

For a start the filter screws on sideways
so you end up with a lot of the contents
running down your arm and also on to the gnd.
So I half fill it and try to get it screwed into place ASAP.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
ran my alloytec on 5w-40 for 10 years and it was still running like new at 300,000 km when I sold it.
Thats a unbelievable run out of your oil and filter.... but i'd have changed both every 15,000kms just to keep my OCD at bay and to stop the eyes from twitching :p:p:p

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
I do my oil every 6 months (I have always done this with any car I have owned and yeah it’s probably ok ok definitely overkill but I have never had an oil related problem so I’m not jinxing this 30 year streak) so in the daily XR6 that’s about 3500-4000km.
The SS? Well, this time around it’ll be 750km lol.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Thats a unbelievable run out of your oil and filter.... but i'd have changed both every 15,000kms just to keep my OCD at bay and to stop the eyes from twitching :p:p:p
Shhhhhh, nobody was supposed to know!!!!