Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

OT cam shaft marks

hjtrbo

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T / HJ Ute / VF2 R8
Hey,

Do I need to be worried about these marks? Not sure what I'm looking at. Just pulled a few things off to replace a leaking seal and noticed it. Cheers.

Attachments

• 20220727_114948.jpg
    20220727_114948.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 139
  • 20220727_114821.jpg
    20220727_114821.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 116

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
That looks like a the surface of the cam lobe has failed and a small chunk has come out. If so, that will only get worse and distribute steel through the crank case.

I'd say it's time for new cam/followers and ideally the engine is stripped and cleaned to make sure there is no steel anywhere.

Last edited:

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I wouldn't be using that cam or lifter again, they're history. As above I'd want to find that metal and extricate it before running her again

hjtrbo

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Sigh. Poor falcon lol. Thought I better not post what car it was at the start. Apparently it's common for the hard facing to wear through. The other cam lobes and followers are looking pretty average. So I might as well pull the head and get it refreshed. :(

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Yeah, 1st picture I thought, hmm can you feel those lines with your finger nail?
Second picture I thought, oh heck, that's trash!
My thoughts exactly! Once the lobe starts to lose the case hardening, it'll send metal particles through the engine is the issue if the cam is left in too long. I'd change the cam and lifters now if it was mine.

hjtrbo

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Just got off the phone with the local engine reconditioner. He also agrees. I'll pull the bastard off tomorrow and send it off. Thanks, all.

Reactions: Lex

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
Sigh. Poor falcon lol. Thought I better not post what car it was at the start
Fingers crossed you caught it before anymore serious damage occurred. In a world of unimaginative SUV garbage, we should all enjoy what's left of our Falcons and Commodores, regardless of who's side you once barracked for :)

Redline457

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF1 6.6 Litre Stroker SSVR A6
Fingers crossed you caught it before anymore serious damage occurred. In a world of unimaginative SUV garbage, we should all enjoy what's left of our Falcons and Commodores, regardless of who's side you once barracked for :)
Your 100% correct, its about maintaining and preserving the cars we’ve got

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Your 100% correct, its about maintaining and preserving the cars we’ve got
If only the manufacturers would support vehicle owners with continued part availability at reasonable prices. Sadly, GM/Holden seems to simply not care any more…

Don’t know what Ford dealers are like but the remaining GM/Holden dealers seem dejected :confused: