Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Owners handbook engine specification page for engine oil.

VRSS_PWR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS
Hi everyone. Does anyone have a photo of the engine oil recommended by Holden in the owners handbook? Trying to see if I’m using the right stuff or not. It’s a V8 304. Thanks guys.

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
Hi everyone. Does anyone have a photo of the engine oil recommended by Holden in the owners handbook? Trying to see if I’m using the right stuff or not. It’s a V8 304. Thanks guys.
holden used castol 20/50 mineral oil in the old aussie v8 until they introduced gen 3 ls1

VRSS_PWR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS
holden used castol 20/50 mineral oil in the old aussie v8 until they introduced gen 3 ls1
Oh ok because I’ve been using 15-40 synthetic. Not sure if that would’ve caused any damage to the motor. It’s done 220,000kms. Would 20/50 still be on in the motor or would I need something thicker? Thanks.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You don't want to use that oil. A mineral oil with lots of zinc is what you want..

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Change back to 20w50 mineral or semi as per the book and see how it runs.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Nah it’ll be fine. With low spring pressures and lazy lobe profiles on a stock engine I wouldn’t worry one bit about using a full synth oil. I’ve used quite a few different oils in my old Vs 304 without issue, including full synthetic 15w50 and 10w50.

Nick Scali

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Caprice
Mine got super liftery on the dyno with ACDelco 10W50 fully synthetic in it when I first got the car and serviced it, it also ate a fuckload of it, I went to Nulon 25W60 high zinc mineral and no dramas since - also VS 304 with 135,000km on it.

This is what I use:

https://www.nulon.com.au/products/e...nc-mineral-25w-60-street-and-track-engine-oil

Last time I got it on sale for $35 from Rape-co, so I bought four of the *******, otherwise its $55-$60 for 5L which isn't overly expensive.

Doesn't burn any oil, no dramas with oil pressure, nice and quiet from the lifters.

Otherwise Penrite HPR30 is another quality high zinc mineral oil, sometimes you can find it cheap.

I think Penrite does some high zinc fully synthetics as well designed for older engines withj hydraulic flat tappet cams if you want to go that path :)

Last edited: