Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

P0016 and p0018 codes

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Yes Holden had an ECU update that relaxed the limits before a DTC was raised but that was just a Band-Aid that didn’t really resolve the underlying issue which was poor quality chains that stretched. That software update to fix a hardware defect smelt like a “push the problem outside warranty” type fix.

Just can’t remember whether the update was for early or late VE’s and/or whether it was rolled out to all V6’s regardless :oops:
Pretty sure it was for vehicles prior to MY9.5.

dylan720

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp cxommordore
The chains are genuine revised apparently thats what i was yold by the mechanic who did them in the 1st place ive bitten the bullet pulling it apart tomorrow gonna see how i go.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
A workmate has had P0018 for the last 12 months on his VE series 2 Omega LFW over 250,000kms, had no chain work done for the last 10 years since he has owned it. Start the car and clear codes, can drive for hours until stopping engine, next start it shows P0018 again. No noises.
Last year I did look at the sensors and swapped between intake / exhaust on the drivers side, no change.
Have also removed and checked VVT solenoids. Applied some volts and cleaned with brake cleaner, no change.

He was going to take it to an auto electrician late last year, but is not too worried about it.

dylan720

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp cxommordore
So ive pulled it apart one chain is stretched by about a link it looks like compared to the other side chain im buying a new kit does anyone know what the oex kit from repco is like its about 700 but i can get it for 600 on my club card