Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

P0500 Error code on ve omega

lester59

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ve omega
hi peeps, i have just bought a 2007 omega. anyhow the abs light and traction control lights are on and wont turn off. i bought a scan tool and it has come up with P0500. now i cant erase this code with the u scan tool. now it did have low profile 18's on it, but as of yesterday i put 245/45/18 tyres on it as i read somewhere on here it could be a tyre differential. now i havent driven it yet because i havent registered it but how do i check if its fixed.

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
It is not fixed.
1. The ABS and traction control warning lights are on because the system has been switched off because of the fault. The warning lights will stay on until the fault is identified and repaired.

2. The replacement tyres you have put on are the correct size for an 18 inch wheel and in any event you will only get issues with the ABS and traction control functions if there is too large a difference in diameter between the front and rear tyres. (But even that will not cause the ABS and TC lights to remain displayed). The tyres you have fitted have nothing to do with the fault you have now.

3. The P0500 fault code means there is a malfunction with one or more of the vehicle speed sensors. If one or more sensors have failed or are faulty the system will shut down and the ABS and TC warnings will display.

4. The warnings will remain displayed until that fault, and any others that may be present, are fixed. The vehicle could also still be throwing up additional fault codes which are ABS and TC related that your particular scan tool has not registered.

You can apply for a temporary permit that will allow you to legally drive the car to and from repair workshops so check with the local authority in your State on that. I would get the car to Holden and have them run a full scan over the ABS/TC system and take it from there. You will not be able to have the car registered with those warning lights displayed.

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
rear sensor/loom, common fault

You say its common? I have this code along with a p0008?
Would p0500 pop up because I have p0008 as well? Or vice-versa, would p0008 pop up if i have a fault with p0500?

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
P0500 is VEHICLE speed sensor, not WHEEL speed sensor. The conditions for logging are "The transmission output speed is less than 150 RPM for 3 seconds" while driving above 3,000rpm and not in neutral or park. I'd clear it and go for a drive, if it relogs remove the vehicle speed sensor (bolted to the side of the box) and check it - if there's no metal filings etc attached to it and it is clean on the internal box side, replace the sensor. If it's dirty give it a clean and refit/test drive.

P0008 is not related - it's a camshaft/crankshaft plausibility code (i.e. timing chains stretched).

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
P0500 is VEHICLE speed sensor, not WHEEL speed sensor. The conditions for logging are "The transmission output speed is less than 150 RPM for 3 seconds" while driving above 3,000rpm and not in neutral or park. I'd clear it and go for a drive, if it relogs remove the vehicle speed sensor (bolted to the side of the box) and check it - if there's no metal filings etc attached to it and it is clean on the internal box side, replace the sensor. If it's dirty give it a clean and refit/test drive.

P0008 is not related - it's a camshaft/crankshaft plausibility code (i.e. timing chains stretched).

Thanks
Could changing 18" to 20" Rims alter this and throw the code?

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Change in rims won't cause this particular fault code - it's logged because the vehicle speed sensor stopped returning a value. I already detailed a fix (clean and recheck the sensor, replace if fault persists).

lester59

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ve omega
I have reset and gone for a quick drive too see if anything changes and now it comes up with the p0500 and a new one of p0717. turbine/ input shaft speed sensor A circuit no signal. does anyone know what this is?