Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

People May Face Jail for Lending Cars out for Weddings

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
Who would have thought I'd agree with anything someone from Family First came out with lol.

Transport Department manager for passenger transport, Bill Gonis, said the letters were only to inform people what was legally allowed.

"It's a letter of warning and advising them if they want to speak to someone at the office we are more than happy to help them with any inquiry they may have," he said.

"If they're simply just providing that service for a friend of theirs that's fine, that's the end of that. Again I just have to make that clear that we're not prosecuting people who are simply driving their friends around.

"This is just really about ensuring public safety if some of these vehicles are going out, [ensuring] that some of these vehicles are roadworthy."

Bullshit, if it's registered than as far as your concerned, it's roadworthy. If it's roadworthy enough to drive on public roads then it's roadworthy enough to do a friends wedding.

GothicKidd

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Exec
Completely stupid, it is your car you can do what ever the hell you want with it!

kingyinperth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 2012 Heron SS Thunder Ute M6
Think the headline has been sensationalised a tad..good old media once again,however the warnings are bs and totally ridiculous,love to see someone challenge such a charge in court.
How did they find out he lent his falcon to ole mate getting married?

Was going to bag SA for stupidity of governance then remembered we now kill sharks in WA(undersized,wrong species no problem for our dimwitted pollies here)...no wonder I don't vote,its worth the $20 fine to be able to pidgeonhole the whole lot as pompous/dictating twats.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Can't speak for SA however in Victoria I believe the line is very clear. If you loan a car then no big deal. If you accept payment for use of the car then it's a whole new kettle of fish and falls under the Transport Integration Act 2010 requiring special licensing of both the car and driver along with different requirements from insurers.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Can't speak for SA however in Victoria I believe the line is very clear. If you loan a car then no big deal. If you accept payment for use of the car then it's a whole new kettle of fish and falls under the Transport Integration Act 2010 requiring special licensing of both the car and driver along with different requirements from insurers.

Does that mean that if I give some mates a lift and they give me fuel money, I can be fined since I accepted payment for driving them?

I think this sort of thing is a bit stupid.

If it's a business providing the service, then sure. But if it's just a owner of a nice car doing accommodating a mate or family and there just happens it be a cash sweetener, then who cares.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
It's all a moot point. You simply ensure there's an invite for you, with your name on it, which effectively shows them you're going to the wedding as you're a friend. And just "helping them out" with the use of a car. People are stupid if they think there will be gaol time or $15,000 fines. Or if there is, then they're stupid enough that they should probably be in gaol anyway.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
so I guess that then also links down to graduations, deb balls, and other related events?

pretty poor.
but I guess other govco departments want their slice of the cake.
ATO not getting their part because of cash payments perhaps ;)

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Does that mean that if I give some mates a lift and they give me fuel money, I can be fined since I accepted payment for driving them?

I'm no lawyer however I suspect a direct re-reimbursement of costs similar to the ATO's schedule for claiming private vehicle used for business purposes (or less) would be fine.

I think this sort of thing is a bit stupid.

If it's a business providing the service, then sure. But if it's just a owner of a nice car doing accommodating a mate or family and there just happens it be a cash sweetener, then who cares.

Correct. The question is where do you draw the line between a business or private "doing a favour" for mates every few weeks?

Super_Low 91

┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐
Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR
What about car pooling, could that be considered as providing a taxi service for your work mates an therefore could get you a warning / fine.

( I am in no way worried about this nor can i see it actually being enforced )