Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Photography locations in Gippsland

missx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
Hi all,

I’m wanting to take some nice photos of my GTS with a nicer background than my yard… Does anyone have some suggestions for good backdrop locations in Regional Victoria, the Gippsland or East Gippsland area. Willing to drive 2 hours or so. Thinking something with scenery, water, farmland, lookouts….
Thanks in advance :)

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Thompson dam is a great place, also past the power plant out towards Yarram, maybe 10mins past it

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
All of Gippsland, so much water and everything is so green.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@missx, I’d think there should be lots of locations where there are car parks along the drive from Melbourne to Mallacoota that have great ocean views… if that’s what you want… but as you don’t mention your starting point, it’s difficult if not impossible to suggest anything that may be within your 2 hours requirement (and is that 2 hours one way or 2 hours round trip?). For example if you live in Geelong, driving to Frankston during peak hour could be too far away…

Maybe google “best day drives from <your location> with great ocean views” should find something (and/or substitute ocean views with what you like as a backdrop) and bobs your mothers brother.

Else check out the following for some inspiration (there are also some great inland tourist spots with pretty towns (Walhall?) …

https://www.visitvictoria.com/see-and-do/nature-and-wildlife/scenic-lookouts (for great ocean road lookouts but that’s in the wrong direction)

Probably the bigger issue is your photographic skills as some can make magic with ordinary locations while others can make ordinary with magic locations. Framing the shot is probably the most important aspect but I’m not artistic so can’t help on that front :p

PS: if you take some shots (nice or ordinary) post them here,… we all like pics of nice cars :cool:

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Thinking something with scenery, water, farmland, lookouts….
The windy road going into Lakes Entrance has a few decent lookouts... I'd say anywhere around that Lakes Entrance area is nice, as well as Gippsland in general...

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Travel distance would definitely help.
Trying to think of places we passed while out that way with work a while back.
Road out to Swifts Creek via Bruthen has some nice spots.

Woolamai and Glen Forbes had some areas that would have farm land and would then see out to the ocean.
If you wanted to, Farrans Lookout past Towong is really nice (you get Kosciuszko in the background)
But in most scenarios the car would be filthy by the time you get to these spots.

missx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
I’m located near Traralgon so that gets me to Melbourne (though I’d rather not a city style backdrop) and past Bairnsdale in 2 hours (though I’m also happy to make a day of it and even go a bit further). I have definitely got Port Albert on the possible list as well as Blue Rock Dam. Walhalla is one I hadn’t thought of, and it actually reminded me of another that could be a possibility too. Out Swifts Creek way is stunning and that’s a very good option too! I had a couple of places in mind before I posted but the dirt road thing made me rethink them as the car would be filthy by time I got there. Thank you all for your suggestions!

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Swift Creek Bakery.
Good for a lunch stop if you get out that way.

Holden motor museum in Trafalgar?