Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Poor design.

monkey

Donating Member
Reaction score
Just installed a Whiteline strut brace on my VX SS. The mounting plates are flat but the top of the tower isn't. Hmm it'll just pull down but wait, looks like they're powder coated, unless its just a thick clear coat. I had a feeling this would happen. Have to wait and see how long until it flakes off, then grind it all off and paint it myself. The instructions said the plates were yellow so im guessing they used to be painted.

Guess I should've just gone a Holden one, would've preferred black anyway. Reason I went for this one was had one on my VS for 12yrs and its still like new, except a bit of rubbing on the bonnet lining. Mate said at least its got some bling now, thanx ****. Anyone else experience similar or can confirm whether its powder or paint?

strut brace 2.jpg strut brace.jpg

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Bugger, have you contacted the supplier?

I have a Whiteline strut brace on my VN and it's been fine for years.

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
My whiteline strut brace mounts had to be bent slightly as well, they have not flaked off or changed since the day I got them installed, almost 4 years now.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
did it on both sides?

sure tower hasnt mushroomed?

monkey

Donating Member
Reaction score
No not yet, will do during the week. The supplier was GSL but ill be contacting Whiteline. Shouldve been pretty obvious to the designer this could happen. Just wanted others experiences/opinions before doing so to find out if its a new coating or if the plates shouldve been rolled a bit or just what the go is in general. Pain in the bum but oh well. I also learnt something else while I was under there and have another job to do now so all good.

monkey

Donating Member
Reaction score
Yep both sides look the same. I will have to check another car to be sure but I cant see any ripples or creasing to indicate mushrooming.

Edit: I guess mushrooming is plausible because it was very low on FE2 when I got it and the shocks were shot but the bump stops and mounts were still in tact.

monkey

Donating Member
Reaction score
TI3VOM, what is the finish on your mounting plates, is it glossy?

Darcon666

Evil is always around you
Reaction score
Website
www.gfy.com
Members Ride
Your Mother
I have had the Pedders version of the "Strut/Tower Brace" in my race & road car since 2004/2006(10/8yrs), never had a problem and they are NOT supposed to be flat...

This is from my road car... as other have suggested, contact whiteline.

RIMG0056_zps0a12e401.jpg

RIMG0057_zpsec01f8dc.jpg

monkey

Donating Member
Reaction score
Firstly thank you very much to everyone that replied yesterday.

I emailed Whiteline this morning and within two hours had a response which suggested that too much clear coat had been applied and they very kindly offered to replace it.

Big rep for them and John who answered my email! Ill definitely continue buying from them in the future.

Have a good day everyone!