Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Project Phoenix - VR Grange tribute/replica

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
xN1Wq55.jpg

New engine progress!

Heads stripped ready for the machine shop next week. Going to get them cleaned and skimmed .30 thou maybe 40 undecided yet, I don't want to push it too far that I have to then machine my edelbrock manifold too. Then when I get them back I'm going to do a bit of blending/porting just to clean up the factory casting imperfections.

That with flat tops I'm hoping will bring me close to the 10's for static compression with the new engine which will really help my cam/intake/exhaust setup.

I've got another roll racing event in November and the engine likely won't be assembled by then so if I'm feeling really motivated I might slap these heads in for a slight boost for that event but it depends if I can be bothered. At least that should get me to around 9:1 which isn't a big boost over 8:5 but it should make a bit of a difference. This will be the last event that I likely run the car on motor alone without nitrous.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I learn so much from threads like this. Some of it is relearning. The stuff I used to know and forgot about from when I was young. So much is new things. Love it. Really enjoy reading through.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I learn so much from threads like this.
I'm entirely self taught, the internet is a wealth of knowledge these days.

My golden rule of thumb is I'll NEVER pay someone to do something that I haven't at least tried myself first even if it's something super intimidating like a diff rebuild etc (other than the obvious like machining, tyres, wheel allignments etc).

It's the best way to learn.

I'll happily do my own engines, drivelines, exhausts, tuning, paint, body etc to me thats what makes the car enjoyable, I much prefer the journey over the destination and to simply pay someone to build stuff for me would take away all that satisfaction.

Last edited:

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I'm entirely self taught, the internet is a wealth of knowledge these days.

My golden rule of thumb is I'll NEVER pay someone to do something that I haven't at least tried myself first even if it's something super intimidating like a diff rebuild etc (other than the obvious like machining, tyres, wheel allignments etc).

It's the best way to learn.

I'll happily do my own engines, drivelines, exhausts, tuning, paint, body etc to me thats what makes the car enjoyable, I much prefer the journey over the destination and to simply pay someone to build stuff for me would take away all that satisfaction.
Yes 100% this!
P.S diff isn't that hard, give it a go.
I want to try more serious 4l60e stuff next (once I get a spare to play with)

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Yes 100% this!
P.S diff isn't that hard, give it a go.
I want to try more serious 4l60e stuff next (once I get a spare to play with)
haha I've already done the diff and agreed not too hard, more just getting the correct depths/lash, shims etc, but I'm not happy with the 3.46's so will probs go 3.7 at some stage in the future.

I'd love to build a trans, I'll be going TH400 when my bone stock 4l60 inevitably implodes and I'd love to do that myself.

Last edited:

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
I learn so much from threads like this. Some of it is relearning. The stuff I used to know and forgot about from when I was young. So much is new things. Love it. Really enjoy reading through.

Couldn't agree with a comment more than this. I was so heavily into the car scene, and I really enjoyed it from tackling things myself, to calling shops and speaking to them about different avenues to take to even all the stress when things just weren't going right.

but I'm so far out of the loop now, that's why I really enjoy seeing these threads and even the pictures you guys post because it sparks memories.

I will admit someguy360 has skills well passed my own and I am jealous of that haha but I am genuinely really impressed mate and I honestly love seeing how far this machine has come.

like the other day I was just staring at the ROH picture for like a solid 5 minutes. and I remember reading the direction you were going with the paint and in my mind I was against it so hard! but actually seeing it all done, im blown away... it looks so damn good as one colour.

maybe getting soft in my old age but I still love this forum simply because it brings a smile to my face seeing these builds

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
like the other day I was just staring at the ROH picture for like a solid 5 minutes. and I remember reading the direction you were going with the paint and in my mind I was against it so hard! but actually seeing it all done, im blown away... it looks so damn good as one colour.
Thanks mate, it wasn't until I saw a white grange at a car show a few years back in person that I fell in love with the simplicity of the look.

They just look so agressive in a single colour, Looking back at old photos of the two tone etc I can't believe I put up with it for so long, it looks like a totally different car.

You can really see HSV's thinking with all the moulding/trim deletes etc to try and add a bit of muscle to them.

Your Caprice was still my biggest motivation back when I first bought the car, love everything about it :)

Last edited:

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Todays efforts:
Got the heads cleaned up and pressure washed.
LIAfUbi.jpg

G1eo2Xp.jpg

Swapped the climate control HVAC panel out for an exec level one and trimmed it to mount my AEM guage in there (I've been seeing this a lot on FB lately, the holes in the factory HVAC panel perfectly fit aftermarket gauges), it was too hard to see down on the console while I was driving.

xA1o6jz.jpg

W7JYw5t.jpg

I'm going to put an oil temp autometer at the bottom. And I've got to work out how to make the fan switch work, the old system was digital and this is a lot more analogue, the connectors are also very different. I'm not sure if I'm going to need an exec fan speed resistor to make it work too, howerver none of that is a priority at the moment.

The car hasn't had AC for almost 10 years and hasn't had a heater for 12 months so the climate control panel was just a waste of space. I keep all that stuff in storage though, I've got everything original for the car and anything I've modified I've made sure I've got a backup of, I don't cut anything up until I know I've got a replacement tucked away. That way the car can easily go back to original.

Last edited: