Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Q's 1987 VL Calais Walkinshaw project

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
At least you know everything is a straight swap, and stuff you're unsure of, you can just check on the donor car haha, makes it handy. KEep up the progress pics man, love em

GRPAVL

Reaction score
Website
homepages.ihug.co.nz
Members Ride
1987 VL Calais Walkinshaw
Got bored. Nothing on TV tonight so back out into the garage. Managed to remove

the bonet
the intake pipe and filter box
the fan and shroud
the radiator and pipes
the oil cooler pipes
the battery
the alternator and wiring
the coil pack
the accelerator cable

makes for a good start tomorrow anyways.

Q

Scrusy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL wagon
A walkinshaw always deserves a V8! Loving this build. Been Seeing photos up on facebook aswell.

GRPAVL

Reaction score
Website
homepages.ihug.co.nz
Members Ride
Well tomorrow is the day for the 8 to come out of the donor. After fixing a blocked drain at home and taking the dog for a run I managed to get everything detached apart from the engine mounts and the drivers header. Rather than do the trans oil out the tail shaft like normal I decided i would go down the remove the oil pan route. never again. wreckon there was more oil on the ground than the spilage caused when removing the RB30 2 days ago.

Did notice that there is about 2mm clearance between the drivers header and the steering rack lines so I guess the donor doesnt have a VN rack after all. Is there an easy way to tell the difference by looking or measuring only.

Anyway, so amped right now but needs must and I have to come inside to cook dinner for the famdamily.

Q

Scrusy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL wagon
Well u do have ur facebook in ur signature haha. Id rather fill my facebook with VLs then idiots having a winge about everything lol

GRPAVL

Reaction score
Website
homepages.ihug.co.nz
Members Ride
Deuce - Sweet & sour chicken on crunchy noodles.
Scrusy - pics always up here first .. not all pics end up on FB

As I mentioned earlier this is the clearance between the drivers header and the power steering rack. Will need to look into the VN setup before install in the Walkinshaw me thinks.
Walkinshaw_042.jpg

Today, removal of the 304 V8 was more than I expected. I had to removed the brake booster on the drivers side, the starter from the passengers side and both headers to enable the engine to finally wiggle free. now for a quick tidy up before reinstalling.
Walkinshaw_043.jpg

Random pick of the headers. I noted that the oxy sensor has been plugged. Do the VN 304s not need an oxy sensor?
Walkinshaw_044.jpg

It was good having the donor shell also as it has also shown me where the knock to the inner drive tunnel to clear the trans.
Mental note to self ... must get VS booster and VT master for after install.

Q

GRPAVL

Reaction score
Website
homepages.ihug.co.nz
Members Ride
Well its been a week since my last update but things should start progressing again now. Finally got the donor shell fully stripped and off to the metalman. now to clean up the garage and give the 304 a quick stripdown/tidy up and drop her in the hole.

watch this space.