Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Questions about a VR Wagon

P plater

the immortal misguided one
Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 Ford Falcon Futura wagon/ 1994 VR Exec wagon
Hey everyone, I am after some advice on things with my new addition to the garage, I will probably sound like a total noob with some of the questions, it is a 1994 VR Executive Wagon

I have noticed that my passenger side mirror isn't working, my driver's side one does work but not all the time, I think it might be the switch.

I would like to do what I did with my falcon, putting a more luxury model interior in IE put a statesman dash, loom, BEM,climate control and cluster, would the rest of the loom be OK, if it is any use it has been optioned up with ABS and the driver's airbag, so could it be like my falcon? Where I have ABS so all of the Fairmont/Fairlane stuff just plug and play

Also I have a blowing fuse for my fuel pump, I did some checks and found that if I removed the fuel pump relay and I put a fused jumper lead in the fuel pump to 12V the car started and ran normally, I am thinking it could be the oil pressure switch shorting out

Thanks for reading this rather long ramble about my questions, as always any advice or ideas are appreciated

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
All sounds wonderful to me. Just go for it.:bomb:

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
Save your money and buy a better car will end up cheaper in the long run. You can polish a turd but when its polished its still a turd. I've wasted heaps of time and money rebuilding **** heaps with other bits of **** from the dunger yard or from buying dungers at the end of it I still ended up with a dunger . A never was VR will still have a resale value of #### all.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
Don't pay too much attention to the nay-sayers above. They are entitled to their point of view but it is just that: a point of view. It depends (on a bunch of things) on things like like whether you are able to put time in yourself and how much satisfaction you will get out of accomplishing some improvements. As long as you can feel your car is not going to let you down when you are out and about it's all fun. You never do up a car expecting to make money out of it. If you are running another car then you can take the VR off the road at times to do up-grades/repairs

moneypit

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs calais
Statesman dash is pretty do-able but I would think twice on the climate control. The pain of installing what can be a quite troublesome system really isnt worth it in my opinion. The analog system works fine and is easier to use, as long as you get it all working as it should.
I also think that what Wozza is saying has some merit. Having a better base to start with will be cheaper in the long run.

But that said, if your aim is a cheap cleanup and stereo install then go for it. I would sugest to keep a handle on the budget, as if you get sick of the project you wont get the money back.

And yeah, I have burnt myself a few times overspending on cars that had too many problems to start with, it's so easy to get carried away.

P plater

the immortal misguided one
Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 Ford Falcon Futura wagon/ 1994 VR Exec wagon
Hey guys I am stuck with the blowing fuse for my fuel pump, I replaced the oil pressure switch and cut all of the old alarm wiring away, I got the car running by putting a fused jumper lead in the fuel pump relay to put 12V directly to the fuel pump, the fuel pump fuse didn't blow but as soon as the relay went in it pretty violently blew the fuse, what would I do next? If it helps i unplugged the engine loom from the loom at the plugs near the battery.