Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rear axleshaft removal

GK813

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I have to replace the rear axle seal and bearing on my VS solid axle Ute non ABS, I haven't done this before and I'm concerned about the bearing side as the book says a press is needed, I have the Haynes Commodore/Lexcen book that basically says to remove the calliper and rotor then remove the 4 bolts on the retaining plate, withdraw the axleshaft taking care not to damage the oil seal in the end of the axle housing as the splined end of the axleshaft passes through it

is there anything else holding the axleshaft in other then the four bolts on the retaining plate? and is putting the axleshaft back in easy to do without damaging the seal in the axle housing or should I remove the diff cover and replace the seal in there too?

Hopefully I can put the bearing and seal in myself without a press and lastly in the book it says to use SAE 80/140 gear oil 1.7 liters for a Ute should I use mineral or synthetic?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I thought the seal was on the outside of the bearing? It's been a long while since I did mine. I don't remember there being any other seal other than the shaft seal. Use 140 syn oil as the min oil tends to make the LSD make a weird noise after a few 1000km.

You will really need a press and Ideally a drill press as well to help get the retainer off. The drill press is used to drill side holes that help loosen it up.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
You will need a press to get the seal/bearing on as they are retained by a press fit collar.

GK813

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Ok I'll remove it for now and take it to a mechanic it sounds like I have to buy a retaining plate if it needs to be drilled off? Losh1971 I dont have a LSD

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You shouldn't need the retaining plate. The bearing retainer is a collar that you drill holes in and then open up those holes with a chisel to make it easier to get off.

Is this a ute? Lots of utes got LSD even the V6, but likely mostly the Commodore ute and not so much the Holden ute.

GK813

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Ive got a Commodore VS series 2 (1996?) V6 Ute non LSD just a solid diff, I though the retaining plate instead of the retainer when I read my mistake

Grimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Series II Ute
In basic terms: Undo the retaining plate, remove the axle, take it to a shop with a press, strip the collar and bearing, install the plate and seal, take it back to the shop and get it pressed back together, reinstall. Picture below shows them in ready to reinstall state.

Attachments

• IMG_0567.jpeg
    IMG_0567.jpeg
    304.2 KB · Views: 51
Reactions: Lex

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Wish you was nearby I quite like getting the bearings off these. It also means I get to use some of my equipment that would otherwise only be needed once every six years.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
In basic terms: Undo the retaining plate, remove the axle, take it to a shop with a press, strip the collar and bearing, install the plate and seal, take it back to the shop and get it pressed back together, reinstall. Picture below shows them in ready to reinstall state.

Yeah, basically.

I normally grind the collar at home till it's almost broken through and then hit it with a hammer and chisel to break the last bit.

Now I have a full size workshop press at home so I can do the job without having to go anywhere :) But only have 1 Commodore left with a solid axle and that already has new bearings and seals in it so it's not a job I'll do again any time soon.