Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing ECU

MissKaos

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vx Commodore V6
Hey..
So I'm replacing the ECU in my 2000 VX commodore. I've already sussed out the right one by the code on the side of the one already in it. My issue is that, I messaged the commodore shop and their telling me I need to replace the BCM as well? But yet everywhere I've looked, it's said that I can connect the ECU, turn the ignition to accessories so the ECU and BCM can configure, leave it there for 10-15 mins then turn ignition off, then it should start up like normal.

Is this correct? Or am I being fed bs by my searches and I need to replace the BCM too?

Haha I know I ask alot, but I need to do all the work myself

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Hey..
So I'm replacing the ECU in my 2000 VX commodore. I've already sussed out the right one by the code on the side of the one already in it. My issue is that, I messaged the commodore shop and their telling me I need to replace the BCM as well? But yet everywhere I've looked, it's said that I can connect the ECU, turn the ignition to accessories so the ECU and BCM can configure, leave it there for 10-15 mins then turn ignition off, then it should start up like normal.

Is this correct? Or am I being fed bs by my searches and I need to replace the BCM too?

Haha I know I ask alot, but I need to do all the work myself
What you need is a scanner to link bcm to the pcm.
Thats really all you need.

Give a few auto electricians or mechanics a call & ask them if they are able to link them.

If you can't get someone with a scanner to link them, then you need a pcm, bcm, at least 2 key fobs from the same car, thats the same as your car.
Example 2000 vx v6 sedan with srs side impact airbags (thats if your car has them). This way all the electronics will talk to one another. The reason for the 2 key fobs is you will use your keys on the fobs, & the second one will give you a spare.

Good luck.

MissKaos

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vx Commodore V6
What you need is a scanner to link bcm to the pcm.
Thats really all you need.

Give a few auto electricians or mechanics a call & ask them if they are able to link them.

If you can't get someone with a scanner to link them, then you need a pcm, bcm, at least 2 key fobs from the same car, thats the same as your car.
Example 2000 vx v6 sedan with srs side impact airbags (thats if your car has them). This way all the electronics will talk to one another. The reason for the 2 key fobs is you will use your keys on the fobs, & the second one will give you a spare.

Good luck.
I was hoping it was as simple as replacing the ECU

What sort of scanner do I need? I have an OBD2 scanner if that helps.
At the moment I can't even drive my car. It doesn't start or even crank since I accidentally put the positive on negative and vice versa, and the battery sparked.
It starts with a jump, but the moment you try driving it, that car has a hissy and stalls and goes completely dead again

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
I was hoping it was as simple as replacing the ECU

What sort of scanner do I need? I have an OBD2 scanner if that helps.
At the moment I can't even drive my car. It doesn't start or even crank since I accidentally put the positive on negative and vice versa, and the battery sparked.
It starts with a jump, but the moment you try driving it, that car has a hissy and stalls and goes completely dead again
What kind of scanner do you have?

MissKaos

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vx Commodore V6
The one in the picture is my daughter in-laws. But I also have an ALDL.

Attachments

• 20240508_180644.jpg
    20240508_180644.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 22

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
the vident can do it
you will need your bcm security code to link ecu
little credit card in owners book

Reactions: Lex

MissKaos

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vx Commodore V6
the vident can do it
you will need your bcm security code to link ecu
little credit card in owners book
Oh I hope I have it still. A lot of things got misplaced during the move from W.A to NSW. If I can't find it, is there another way?

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
The one in the picture is my daughter in-laws. But I also have an ALDL.
Go to the bcm section on the scanner, the sercurity code will be there.

I have that scanner the i400au. Not a bad scanner for the price.