Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing ECU

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
At the moment I can't even drive my car. It doesn't start or even crank since I accidentally put the positive on negative and vice versa, and the battery sparked.
It starts with a jump, but the moment you try driving it, that car has a hissy and stalls and goes completely dead again

Start with checking fuses, there will be a few that have fried. Hopefully its just fuses and not bcm/ecu.

The incorrect battery hook up is more important than the ecu/bcm replacement.

You never did update your first thread https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/electrical-issues.304502/post-3440467

MissKaos

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vx Commodore V6
You can't find the scanner?
So, something odd, or maybe not. The scanner is showing no error codes. There is no power coming from the battery unless the jump pack is connected, and even with it connected the jump pack itself was drained. Using the obd2 reader we tried for live data readings and received no codes whatsoever. There's power, but it's like there's no output power going into the ignition system to actually start the car.
The starter motor has been changed since all this drama has started, so it's definitely not that

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
So, something odd, or maybe not. The scanner is showing no error codes. There is no power coming from the battery unless the jump pack is connected, and even with it connected the jump pack itself was drained. Using the obd2 reader we tried for live data readings and received no codes whatsoever. There's power, but it's like there's no output power going into the ignition system to actually start the car.
The starter motor has been changed since all this drama has started, so it's definitely not that
Can you recharge the battery over night?

There could be more things wrong from the battery terminal mis match?

MissKaos

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vx Commodore V6
Can you recharge the battery over night?

There could be more things wrong from the battery terminal mis match?
I actually bought a brand new battery the other day because I thought it might be the issue.. but I haven't put it in yet because I thought about all the issues and suspected the ECU.
But I've just removed all fuses and replaced them. None of them were blown

MissKaos

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vx Commodore V6
Start with checking fuses, there will be a few that have fried. Hopefully its just fuses and not bcm/ecu.

You never did update your first thread https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/electrical-issues.304502/post-3440467
I totally forgot about that to be honest. The other thread I mean. It's been one of those weeks where you just want to pull your hair out lol.

But I just took all fuses out and replaced them just in case. But none were blown.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Don't forget to check the interior fuses as well. Check relays too

I'm unsure if the vt runs the fuses that are secured with screws, they're different to the normal spade fuses

MissKaos

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vx Commodore V6

I'm unsure if the vt runs the fuses that are secured with screws, they're different to the normal spade fuses
I will fully check it out tomorrow in the daylight, but the car started after changing the battery. It's quite confusing though because it was reading that it was fully charged and didn't throw an error code for it.
I'm really hoping this will be the issue, and nothing more.

But thankyou so much to you and Lex for all the help you both have been giving me. You have no idea how much I appreciate it

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
No worries, hoping for your sake it's something simple, easier and cheaper to start with the small stuff then to replace ecu/bcm route

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon

Vt does have the screw bolt in, but she has a vx, l would assume the same? Maybe not?

@MissKaos This fuse we are mentioning is under the bonnet.
See the fuse with the stone sitting on it? It also has a bolt in it. That bolt needs to be removed, the fuse replaced & the bolt replaced.
That fuse probably sourced from a wreckers.
20240509_104430[1].jpg

@lout does vx have the fuse that l have pictured (the one with the stone)?
Thankyou for your help.

grey_hawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Ute, VS V6 snotbox
Battery won't throw a code as such,did you check the (old) battery with a multimeter?