Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[LS1] Replacing mufflers with hotdogs

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
FYI, factory systems have a muffler with reverse flow on the rear and the two front ones are actually straight through. Replacing them with hotdogs will make it slightly louder, but not by much, because the smaller the body of the muffler, the louder it will be. For an end result that is louder than that, replace the rear muffler with a straight through one of similar size, the front straight through mufflers will take out the drone, but removing the restrictive rear muffler will free up the exhaust and make it louder as well as giving it a bit more go.

ar5boosted

Reaction score
Website
www.ar5boosted
Members Ride
VZ SV6
removing the restrictive rear muffler will free up the exhaust and make it louder as well as giving it a bit more go.

I'm a Commodore noob but I for one reason or another I was asking about this today at a Muffler Shop.

Apparently, when it's done with a Tune that's when you get the best result.

The Exhaust guy was telling me that there used to be a guy that would upload a tune for $200 to correspond to the Exhaust mods. However that guy never let on the details of what he actually did and then did a runner and left the State.

I'd love to find out how we can do this again. I want my car done the same.

On my non-commodore removing the rear-muffler *did* make a lot of difference whilst leaving the centre resonators in. So a +1 from me and the Exhaust shop on doing it that way.

Blaizen82

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 5.7 LS1 Gen 3
FYI, factory systems have a muffler with reverse flow on the rear and the two front ones are actually straight through. Replacing them with hotdogs will make it slightly louder, but not by much, because the smaller the body of the muffler, the louder it will be. For an end result that is louder than that, replace the rear muffler with a straight through one of similar size, the front straight through mufflers will take out the drone, but removing the restrictive rear muffler will free up the exhaust and make it louder as well as giving it a bit more go.
Yea, I decided to go with the cats up front then replaced the two centre mufflers with the hotdogs and ran it straight thru with twin pipes to the rear. My VT SS has this set up and it sounds awsome and is sweet performance wise... so I figured I'd do the same on my VX SS. I'll let u know how it turns out... I've actually got a Launch computer to tune it all anyway... but shouldn't need to I don't think...