Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Reverse camera connection

Hanky

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 hsv clubsport
Hi guys have installed a reverse camera to my 09 Clubsport R8 when I put it in reverse it flashes a video up then goes to a black screen but when the car is not running turn ignition on and put in reverse I have full picture any ideas

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I know that with some after market head units there is an extra earth wire you have to connect to make some functions work, some sort of security /safety feature I believe.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
It sounds a bit like a (no)-video-in-motion type of lock out. As @Immortality mentioned, check the wiring to the various switches - particularly the handbrake sense wire - and make sure that you are using a designated reverse camera input (and not another general video input - which will be locked out unless parked). Also, sometimes to have to go to the set up and specify which input is the reverse camera.

Hanky

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 hsv clubsport
I know that with some after market head units there is an extra earth wire you have to connect to make some functions work, some sort of security /safety feature I believe.
It’s the original head unit which supports a camera there is an additional power wire that is not connected yet instructions say if needed but do t say what would require it to be connected it’s on the opposite end of the av lead from camera

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Not familiar with the factory units unfortunately.

Normally the extra wire ties into something like the reverse lights circuit so when in reverse the head unit knows to go to the camera.

Hanky

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 hsv clubsport
It sounds a bit like a (no)-video-in-motion type of lock out. As @Immortality mentioned, check the wiring to the various switches - particularly the handbrake sense wire - and make sure that you are using a designated reverse camera input (and not another general video input - which will be locked out unless parked). Also, sometimes to have to go to the set up and specify which input is the reverse camera.
No worries thanks for the input will look into that thanks again

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The factory head unit needs to have reverse camera feature activated on it if it has not previously had that.

Also, as above.