Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Roll Racing - how to ?

598rwhp

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 V8 Calais V wagon
You might want to have a look at this guy - Charlie Dixon. He had a lot of issues with his manual shift in the Monaro and eventually went to auto. Not saying that is the solution, but there may be some good suggestions on manual shifting while he was trying to sort that out. I'm not much chop with FB but I think from this link you may be able to comb through the history of his Monaro and the issues.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Thanks I will look into it - better to learn from someone else's wisdom than repeat their mistakes.

Reactions: Lex

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
You might want to have a look at this guy - Charlie Dixon. He had a lot of issues with his manual shift in the Monaro and eventually went to auto. Not saying that is the solution, but there may be some good suggestions on manual shifting while he was trying to sort that out. I'm not much chop with FB but I think from this link you may be able to comb through the history of his Monaro and the issues.
[/URL]

Charlie Dixon has a youtube account called driving with dixon...Might be better going through that rather than his facebook page.. :)

Yes, he had troubles shifting with a manual box in his Monaro and had Paul Pavalo Motors fit a powerglide to the Monaro for roll racing...He is also prepping his Monaro for the drag challenge week, when it comes around...Not sure when that is though.

IMA, I think autos are better for drag/roll racing, rather than manuals....But that is my personal opinion

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
IMA, I think autos are better for drag/roll racing, rather than manuals....But that is my personal opinion

If i was deadly serious about it I would think an Auto would be the go. My ute is what it is and as I don't live in the city I prefer to drive a manual. If the bug really bites hard and it gets serious I think I would build a car to meet the requirements. in the menatime I will look for a way to master the change from second to third. Thiird to fourth is not a problem and by the looks of the setup getting into fifth is not that likely.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
I quit manual transmissions when I cut running super sprints and general track days

For drags and roll racing you cannot beat a good old slushbox

Plus driving a grumpy car in traffic with a stalled auto is painless, the same cannot be said for a grumpy manual

The way I see it, manual for track car, slush box for everything else

598rwhp

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 V8 Calais V wagon
Yeah, the weather and the lockdown is a pain

Pitty your car is not with you, mine has received alot of TLC over the lockdowns
Here we are 12 months and 8 or 9 runs into Roll-Racing.
Have been gradually upgrading the car and monitoring performance. Higgins flowed heads then 10% overdrive pulley and most recently E85 flex-fuel conversion. Been using your launch tactics for an auto and they work great, however now with E85 we are now short shifting into 3rd as flicking it over at about 5,500 rpm was causing wheel-spin so we shift earlier and let the torque pull us along. Still getting big wheel-spin shifting 3rd to 4th which has been a bit scary and have mostly got off the gas a bit to settle it. So the "solution" has been to buy some semi-slick (Nankang 275/35x18) and running them at 18psi. Biggest issue is no burnouts allowed and nothing you can do anyway to keep them warm while you wait in line for your next run. Looking at other very similar cars with identical tyres - VF auto Sportwagons with turbo or s/charger and they are not getting this wheelspin issue (IE got it sorted). We have coil-over suspension on the rear and our car sits very firm & lower than most others similar cars. Wondering if we soften the springs to get more "squat" is a solution. Any thoughts ?

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Here we are 12 months and 8 or 9 runs into Roll-Racing.
Have been gradually upgrading the car and monitoring performance. Higgins flowed heads then 10% overdrive pulley and most recently E85 flex-fuel conversion. Been using your launch tactics for an auto and they work great, however now with E85 we are now short shifting into 3rd as flicking it over at about 5,500 rpm was causing wheel-spin so we shift earlier and let the torque pull us along. Still getting big wheel-spin shifting 3rd to 4th which has been a bit scary and have mostly got off the gas a bit to settle it. So the "solution" has been to buy some semi-slick (Nankang 275/35x18) and running them at 18psi. Biggest issue is no burnouts allowed and nothing you can do anyway to keep them warm while you wait in line for your next run. Looking at other very similar cars with identical tyres - VF auto Sportwagons with turbo or s/charger and they are not getting this wheelspin issue (IE got it sorted). We have coil-over suspension on the rear and our car sits very firm & lower than most others similar cars. Wondering if we soften the springs to get more "squat" is a solution. Any thoughts ?
Could be a few things

One thing is they might be using aftermarket traction control, there is "alot" of that going on

598rwhp

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 V8 Calais V wagon
Thanks - I'll do some research & post anything that seems practical and is being used in this environment.
How are you doing ? RR or drags now?

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
How did I not see this thread earlier.

I'm a regular at the Adelaide RR events unfortunately as I run a traditional Holden engine in a sea of LS cars (And thats the way it will stay) I'm not competative but it's still fun none the less until the drag strip is finished. (My cars better setup for the launch than a rolling start with the cam/stall/gears I'm running).

We're looking to go a 150 wet kit of nitrous by the end of the year which should hopefully put the car in the similar sort of bracket as the stock VE/VF/Mustangs etc.

Video of my last run in June. Unfortunately the useless tuner *cough me* left a heap of timing out in the mid RPM range at WOT so it fell flat on it's face mid way down the track.

As you can hear in the video when 3rd gear hit it just fell over.

Looking forward for the opening of the drag strip up there at the end of the year, will be good to do a mix of RR and 1/4 mile stuff.

Last edited:

598rwhp

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 V8 Calais V wagon
Drag strip will be a great addition, for sure and agree fun rather than winning with no chance of getting a ticket !
Love the sound of that car - just a perfect note.
Wet kit should make a BIG difference.
Give us a shout when you're next up there - black VF wagon "HOLDON"