Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Roof mounted antenna

Freeway64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF Commodore SV6 Storm Sedan
I just had the roof resprayed, and now the reception is patchy with interference coming in. What's the easiest way to remove it and reconnect it properly?

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Maybe it's not connected from inside.
I don't know how it's setup so comment further, but sounds like the cable is acting as the antenna which would explain your patchy reception.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
If it was it the eqivilant of a shut door respray, maybe the painters didn't strip all the bits off the roof before painting.. In which case they may have simply removed the antenna and masked the plastic part (along with other parts) where some paint got into the screw thread...

If so unscrew the antenna and check the that base antenna thread hole is nice and clean with no paint or smuts on it... same check for the antenna itself...

If all is clean then you need to have them check the underside of the antenna base (above the headlining) as something (screw, plug, etc) may be loose :oops:

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
I just had the roof resprayed, and now the reception is patchy with interference coming in. What's the easiest way to remove it and reconnect it properly?
You can remove the rear seat dome lamp and have a look through the hole to see if it is still connected.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Some cars use the roof as a RF ground plane, if they painted over the contact points it might explain it.
The amount of times spray painters cover up ground lugs with paint is astonishing.
I have never met a panel beater or spray painter that has liked wiring.
I'm surprised they even can change a light bulb.