Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rope seal problem

Trundlemick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore Executive
Hi Guys, I put in a new rope seal and new main and conrod bearings in a vn/toyota lexcen and the crank will not turn over until I back the No 4 Main bearing off and it turns like a newbie.
What has happened, did I put the rope in far enough , are the mains bearing the wrong size
Any help would be happy.
Mick

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Rope seal in a V6???

Sokoza

Beep Beep
Reaction score
Members Ride
'92 VP GTS
Youtube how to install a rope seal and see if you installed it correctly. I found that video interesting.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Check the bearing sizes. I was rebuilding an engine a few of years back and when I checked the main bearing running clearances I found that one new bearing was actually a standard size bearing even though it had been stamped as being an undersize bearing. When fitting new bearings its always best to first check the bearing clearances with plastigage before doing the final assembly... The bearing that was stamped incorrectly was ACL brand, when I enquired about this at the time I was told that its not the first time that ACL have had this happen with their bearings...

Trundlemick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore Executive
Should the bearing be undersize as the spare parts shop gave me standard bearings