Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

safe Ignition circuit VR exec

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Hi
stupid question :) Im wondering if anyone knows of an safe place behind the center console to tap into the ignition circuit ?
I need to run a relay that will be triggered only when the car is running.....These new fangled electronic cars scare the hell out of me :D.Thought I ask before I go poking around and let out the magic blue smoke
Thanks

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
trace the ign wire down to there it enters the fuse block. then go either side of one of the fuses. but choose carefully because if its something that draws alot of power you may need to up your fuse amperage

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
The fag lighter in the centre console should be ignition/accessory switched plus it has a big fuse and is easy to get to.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
The fag lighter in the centre console should be ignition/accessory switched plus it has a big fuse and is easy to get to.

+1 I have always done this

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Hi
Thanks for the replies
pretty sure the cig lighter is on the accessories circuit.....I need to have a power inverter on only when the car is running
suppose Ill have to get under there with a multi meter :) cant make heads or tails from the crappy wiring diagram I have here
thanks

Andrew426

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP calais, VR Berlina, VJ valiant, BG5 legacy
You could get your signal off the purple (i think) wire off your oil pressure switch, its the one that keeps the fuel pump powered up. Or you could even switch it off the fuel pump wiring.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Hi
Thanks for the replies
pretty sure the cig lighter is on the accessories circuit.....I need to have a power inverter on only when the car is running
suppose Ill have to get under there with a multi meter :) cant make heads or tails from the crappy wiring diagram I have here
thanks

You won't need your multimeter - just pull the brown/yellow tracer wire off the end of the lighter and attach your inverter. The black wire on the lighter is earth.

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
just run a wire from your battery, to where you want the inverter. then inline place a 4 pin relay. standard will do. all you would need to do is cut it where it runs under your dash and put a female terminal connector onto each end that has been cut. then attach the female terminals to pins 87 and 30 on the relay (it will tell you next to each pin which is which). then run a wire direct from your on wire (ign wire). feed this to the relay on pin 85 and then an earth wire from pin 86 to the chassis of your car or any earthed section.

using this method you will have direct power straight from your battery, so you wont have to worry about sucking to much power from the things that run from the ign wire, and it will mean that when the key is off or on acc it wont trigger the relay so it wont be on.

if you need ill wire up one of my relays tomorrow with labels of each wire and where it should go as well as a view of the under side of the relay so you can see the pin layout.

hope this helps.

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
You won't need your multimeter - just pull the brown/yellow tracer wire off the end of the lighter and attach your inverter. The black wire on the lighter is earth.

he only wants the inverter to have power when the key is in the on position. eg cig lighter is powered off the acc so this wont work for him

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
just run a wire from your battery, to where you want the inverter. then inline place a 4 pin relay. standard will do. all you would need to do is cut it where it runs under your dash and put a female terminal connector onto each end that has been cut. then attach the female terminals to pins 87 and 30 on the relay (it will tell you next to each pin which is which). then run a wire direct from your on wire (ign wire). feed this to the relay on pin 85 and then an earth wire from pin 86 to the chassis of your car or any earthed section.

using this method you will have direct power straight from your battery, so you wont have to worry about sucking to much power from the things that run from the ign wire, and it will mean that when the key is off or on acc it wont trigger the relay so it wont be on.

if you need ill wire up one of my relays tomorrow with labels of each wire and where it should go as well as a view of the under side of the relay so you can see the pin layout.

hope this helps.

Hi
Thanks.... thats basically what Im doing, Ive got a live fused(50 amp) 8 gauge run to the boot which terminates at a distribution block,I have the acc line/relay sorted(picked that up from the radio/cass) just need to get the ignition run connected to something under the dash ..Found a better wiring diag looks like the heater/fan is on the ignition side so Ill have a poke around there :)
Thanks for the info