Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Scraped Bottom of SS. What to do?!?!

Paulie81

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII Prussian Steel SS-V Redline Manual
I thought I would do the right thing last weekend by surprising my wife at her work to give her a lift home. Drove the SS down into her underground car park without an issue. Problem was getting back out. Tried all different angles but due to the long length of the car I could hear some scraping. Was a real **** of a driveway to exit. My car is only moderately lowered so I did not think twice about going into the driveway. Anyway due to the love of my car I am worried if any considerable damage was made. I had a quick peek under and I could see some slight scuffing around the mid section but nothing brutal. Wont be able to tell unless you get her up on a hoist. What would be the best course of action, get Holden Service to have a look, take it to a trusted repairer??

Thanks

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
IF there is no physical damage and only some light scrapping I'd just get the area re-sealed to prevent future corrosion.

Paulie81

Reaction score
Members Ride
IF there is no physical damage and only some light scrapping I'd just get the area re-sealed to prevent future corrosion.

Thanks. So who would be best to do that? A smash repairer?

Sir Les

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 MY14
Apart from the scuffing you probably didn't do any damage. I've had the same experience exiting a steep uphill ramp with a severe angle change at the top -- and that was in a bog standard Calais V sedan! I tried changing the angle of attack but it didn't help. In the end I had to reverse down the ramp (luckily there were no cars behind me) and use a different exit.

I was driving slowly at the time and in spite of the awful scraping noise, I couldn't see any damage underneath. My car has the plastic air deflector panels so maybe they helped.

I feel this problem - bottoming out on kerbs and steep driveways - will only get worse as designers lower cars more and more to improve roadholding. The road infrastructure is just not designed for it.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
X2 amount of people i see with low cars exiting the laneway near work and scraping the fronts as they pull out onto the road is unreal

Hyperduc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline Wagon
Is that why they put the 4x4 suspension on the redlines.:(

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Is the scrape on metal ... the side-skirts are plastic & hang lower than the metal, don’t they?
If it’s on plastic; ignore, it won’t affect resale & has no other effect.

... and yet, ours STILL scrapes regularly. Lots of speed bumps you gotta be really careful with.

DanielSS-V

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline

Matter of opinion. It seems a perfect compromise height wise to me, for handling/aerodynamics and actually driving the car in the real world.

Paulie81

Reaction score
Members Ride
Matter of opinion. It seems a perfect compromise height wise to me, for handling/aerodynamics and actually driving the car in the real world.

pretty sure its higher than what the VE was. I see stock VE's on the road all the time and I wish the VF was the same.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
pretty sure its higher than what the VE was. I see stock VE's on the road all the time and I wish the VF was the same.
Yeah stock VE's appear lower hey.