Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

"shift to park" while car is already in park

1qazwsx4

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB commodore sedan RS
Hi guys, has anyone else had this intermittent issue with their car? I've had mine do the occasional hiccup but today I went to leave my car and it became a problem.

(Edit: from what I've read the Malibu's also seem to have this issue and there seems to be a fix for it but thought I'd ask here too since everyone is extremely helpful)

To explain, you pull up somewhere and put the car into park then press the handbreak. Turn car off and get out and lock the doors but it's stuck in accessory mode due to the BCM thinking it's not in park... Unable to lock doors and fully power down car etc. I'm booked in for a service on Monday and wanted to know if anyone had had this issue resolved so I can already point my dealer in the right direction. Cheers

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Try shifting to neutral, apply the handbrake, then shift into park.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Hi guys, has anyone else had this intermittent issue with their car? I've had mine do the occasional hiccup but today I went to leave my car and it became a problem.

(Edit: from what I've read the Malibu's also seem to have this issue and there seems to be a fix for it but thought I'd ask here too since everyone is extremely helpful)

To explain, you pull up somewhere and put the car into park then press the handbreak. Turn car off and get out and lock the doors but it's stuck in accessory mode due to the BCM thinking it's not in park... Unable to lock doors and fully power down car etc. I'm booked in for a service on Monday and wanted to know if anyone had had this issue resolved so I can already point my dealer in the right direction. Cheers

i had mine do something similar a few weeks ago but it did not show the shift to park message.
the wife started it and the mylink did not start up and when she turned the vehicle off it would not power down, the engine stopped but the dash remained fully lit and the headlights remained on.
i replaced the battery and it has been fine since.

if your vehicle is showing shift to park on the dash then you might want to get the sensor that detects the shift position checked on the gearbox.

1qazwsx4

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB commodore sedan RS
Try shifting to neutral, apply the handbrake, then shift into park.
I will try this if I have any issues over the weekend, this afternoon when it happened I tried cycling through park/n/r/d but didn't try changing my combination of when I apply the hand break. Cheers

i had mine do something similar a few weeks ago but it did not show the shift to park message.
the wife started it and the mylink did not start up and when she turned the vehicle off it would not power down, the engine stopped but the dash remained fully lit and the headlights remained on.
i replaced the battery and it has been fine since.

if your vehicle is showing shift to park on the dash then you might want to get the sensor that detects the shift position checked on the gearbox.
Interesting... Voltage in my battery has remained in the good range but possibly removing the negative battery might be worth a try over the next couple of days before my dealer visit (as restarting the car three times after letting it idle for a min or so in-between did resolve my issue)
Looked like the Malibu have issues with a little pin that disconnects or becomes "clogged" that can cause this too so hopefully it's something simple and not the sensor as New Zealand and needing golden parts = I'm Guna be waiting a while haha

1qazwsx4

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB commodore sedan RS
If anyone knows how to remove the gear knob please let me know. I've seen a few other GM vehicles that have a sliding pin that can be "modified" to fix this issue so I'm keen to do that.

Looks like most people can literally rip their gear knob off but I'm unsure if it's the same with the Holden's - don't want to break anything. Anyone taken theirs off?

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
If anyone knows how to remove the gear knob please let me know. I've seen a few other GM vehicles that have a sliding pin that can be "modified" to fix this issue so I'm keen to do that.

Looks like most people can literally rip their gear knob off but I'm unsure if it's the same with the Holden's - don't want to break anything. Anyone taken theirs off?

slide the shifter to N and at the top where the shifter slides forward and back put your finger in and pull up(towards the roof) and it should pop out.
be careful as under the panel that has P R N D there is a small cable that needs to be unplugged so dont go too crazy pulling it up.
once you unplug the cable and get the panel loose you then grab the shift knob and pull up and it will pop off with the panel and boot.
trimup.jpg

Last edited:

1qazwsx4

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB commodore sedan RS
Time to update this thread. GM replaced my entire "shifting unit" under warranty, they tried extending the wiring harness which can reduce the voltage enough to prevent this issue but if that fails then replacing the shifter is required. Long story short, problem solved now no issues