Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Should I rebuild

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
At 300,000kms, I’d think the engine must be needing a refresh so that any power mods you make don’t overstress things..

But it’s impossible to suggest much because you don’t mention whether this is your daily, what your financial situation is, whether the house your building will be your home, whether your wife is happy with your spend on a big toy, and such. Gut feeling is that if you are building a home and especially if money is going to be tight, the home and paying off the loan should take priority given the way interest rates may go, Heck, even if your nesting, just to keep the missus happy, you could be on a win :p:p:p

Stevo-vz_berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz berlina
At 300,000kms, I’d think the engine must be needing a refresh so that any power mods you make don’t overstress things..

But it’s impossible to suggest much because you don’t mention whether this is your daily, what your financial situation is, whether the house your building will be your home, whether your wife is happy with your spend on a big toy, and such. Gut feeling is that if you are building a home and especially if money is going to be tight, the home and paying off the loan should take priority given the way interest rates may go, Heck, even if your nesting, just to keep the missus happy, you could be on a win :p:p:p
Yea thanks mate I just wanna stretch her out for as long as I could she’s still a nice cruiser and yea she’s a daily.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Compression test will tell you everything. I swapped my old LS out at 300k for this beast and it's now gone on to add another 30k. The only thing I ever did was freshen the top end up. The bottom end on these things can do 500k, they just become a bit sloppy and tired

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
They do sound horrid when sloppy & tired whilst leaking like a mofo'...still I'd rather do cam bearings & seals/gaskets then not touch it again.

Stevo-vz_berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz berlina
They do sound horrid when sloppy & tired whilst leaking like a mofo'...still I'd rather do cam bearings & seals/gaskets then not touch it again.
Yea I I’m considering this also, still have to have to tear her down but much cheaper then full re-build, I’ll do a compression test on Saturday and go from there.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The issue is, you might have to go full teardown if the cam bearings are worn. Cam bearings you can't fit yourself, it's pretty much always a job for the machine shop. And when you give them your block they are likely going to want to do more than knock out the old bearings and press new ones in.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
The issue is, you might have to go full teardown if the cam bearings are worn. Cam bearings you can't fit yourself, it's pretty much always a job for the machine shop. And when you give them your block they are likely going to want to do more than knock out the old bearings and press new ones in.

The machine shop I use just does cam bearings only for me.
The I just use a scraper on the block and get the heads machined as if I was doing a head gasket in car.
But they want the block stripped down so only the rotating assembly is left, nothing else.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
As above if you choose cam bearings then your rebuild decision is made for you. Generally speaking LS bearings are pretty reliable if the engine has been maintained and not flogged

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The machine shop I use just does cam bearings only for me.
The I just use a scraper on the block and get the heads machined as if I was doing a head gasket in car.
But they want the block stripped down so only the rotating assembly is left, nothing else.
Well that's the thing too, OP needs to find a machine shop willing to do a partial job before he starts tearing the engine apart. Might find they say no to fitting cam bearings unless they do the tear down and assembly.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
As above if you choose cam bearings then your rebuild decision is made for you. Generally speaking LS bearings are pretty reliable if the engine has been maintained and not flogged
Yeah but how much rubbing will they show after 300k, even with regular servicing? If you are fitting crank bearings, wouldn't it be wisest to eliminate any potential issues? Me I'd probably just keep flogging it.... I think you mentioned they will keep running well past the 300k mark without too many problems?