Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Spark plugs in 5lt

DenchY

project status = ongoing
Reaction score
Members Ride
86' VL 323ci
the leads took me about 5 minutes.. the spark plugs.. well i broke that back one lol. another was already broke so i fixed spark gap and replaced them

as for the dizzy leads..

take one off, put one on.. do that till all changed :)

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 vy v6 manual ute
DenchY said:
the leads took me about 5 minutes.. the spark plugs.. well i broke that back one lol. another was already broke so i fixed spark gap and replaced them

as for the dizzy leads..

take one off, put one on.. do that till all changed :)
Yep done that last night all up took me bout n hour with kids wingin and hubby tryin to help me and ended up confusing me and I forgot to do one lol. Not an easy job to do on a hot motor lol. The hardest bit I found was trying to get the lead on the destributer right under neath, that was the hottest bit too haha.
On my last car which was a VN 308 calais I borke quite a few as some dimwit who last done them over tightened them :ranting: :ranting:
She runs alot smoother now :yeah:
Got farkin sore hands now but :mad:

Panelvan1975

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs HSV Clubsport 185i
Come on, there must be some mechanics that can shed some light on this subject?, I mean we have all tried the universal joint with our spark plug socket but doesn't work very well!!! So what do the professionals use? was never a problem on "H" model Holdens with big engine bays and no ABS

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
i use a flex head ratchet spanner with the spark plug socket in the end..... it is what the hex on the end was inteded for you know.....

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Well for my back plugs on my EFI 5L VK I used a stubby ratchet ring spanner on the back on my spark plug socket.
As for plug leads, I have more room around the back of my engine than was the VS clubsport had that we pulled my engine out of :) The one under the injection manifold it will a bit of a bugger to get to though I generally just loosen the dizzy off and rotate it to access it and reset the timing when im done.

cheers
Scott

V

vncalaispedz

best way to do the sparkies if your tools are limited is like previously stated using a spanner on the end of the sparkie socket best way is to goto a tool place and ask them for a flexi head ratcheting spanner to suit the end of your plug remover bout $20 for a decent brand and you should have no problems, being a mechanic we have heaps of different style, length, shape tools that cut stuffing around time in half for us if we can't get it try another tool, another angle, another place, simple. as with the leads DenchY was right on the money take one off match it with the right new one and put it back on

DenchY

project status = ongoing
Reaction score
Members Ride
86' VL 323ci
hey vncalaispedz,

would u know what size the "dipstick o ring" is for the gearbox? :) i dont wanna pull it off just yet

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Hey guys, I changed the dizzy cap and rotor button on my 5 liter the other day, I couldn't reach it very well from the front of the car so I did what alot of people suggest, I put my coat on the manifold and layed on the engine, didn't take me long to change it after that, I just drew numbers on the leads so I knew which ones went where. The old cap was in pretty good nick so it didn't help the car much, little bit maybe :)

DAMO_5L

ILLEGAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN turbo 5L V8 aero, Rodeo minitruck, VR SS 355
take the engine covers off it makes it a hell of a lot easier. and the back plug ummm like every one else said find a swivel head socket