Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[308] Spark Plugs

Dan355

Go THE SS's
Reaction score
Members Ride
Street Legal 355ci VN SS - Daily: VP SS
Stay with the VTs

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
check the plugs after a good burnout, if they look clean and not heat damaged (extremely white porcelain insulator with possible bubbling from heat) then they are probably fine. If the plugs are fouling a little then you could go to a 5 heat range but the same type of plug as the VT i.e. BPR5EF1 instead of BPR6EF1 which suit the head you have.

put some 5/15's in it which is what 308's run normally and check that they burn ok. CR determines if you need colder or hotter.

I'd stick with the VT plugs as he's using the injected heads. He can always open the gap up a little and see what it does or change the heat range if the plugs are fouling (which it doesn't sound like)

From memory my 308 uses the BPR5FS15 plugs, I have flat top pistons with B cast heads and a small cam and it didn't have any issues with the ignition breaking up at high rpm using a late model dizzy and MSD coil so you could possibly open the plug gaps up a little. If it starts to miss-fire when hot etc then close the gap up a little.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Well so far we have been fine with the VT plugs. They are the same in all the injected 5.0L, even the VL Walkinshaw.

We thought we killed a set of plugs last season as it was bogging down when changing into second, but as it turned out, I had the cable adjusted wrong on the trans and it was actually starting in second and changing to third. Not quite enough power to turn the tyres in top gear running the size we do. Tyre speed is still around 140-150km/h in second at 5500rpm so that destroys tyres pretty efficiently.

I think I'll stick to the VT plugs and run them at 1mm and even try indexing them so the earth strap points to the exhaust valve.

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
wish i had a misses who did burnouts