Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Speed alert set to permanent digital speedo.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Has anyone worked out why some speed alerts will set to a permanent digital speedo and some wont.My 95 VS wont stay on the digital speedo permanently.It only comes on with the flashing orange light and switches back to speed alert mode once the key is turned off.A mates 96 VS wagon will set permanently,and another mates VR will set permanently and I know of another VR that wont set permanently.Ive read through plenty of threads about it on here and no one seems to know why some will set and others wont.They are all the same looking speed alert units in the dash,theres nothing different about them.So as I said,does anyone know why.

itchy123

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Calais
hold down all 3 buttons and start the car
wait till it beeps or flashes and then press set
and then it should stay permanent unless u disconnect ur battery or repeat above process
(did it to mine other day)

edit : my bad, just noticed u weren't asking how to do it lol

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Yeah some will set and others wont and I want to find out why.I know how to set it.I was doing it today.I showed my mate in his VS,his stays on permanently with no flashing light.Mine wont stay on at all unless the light is blinking and as I said it returns to the speed alert as soon as the key is turned off.It wont stay there permanently.Ive seen the same thing happen with VR models too.Some will set permanently,others wont.There has to be a reason why.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
I've not found anything in the dash looms to say they are wired differently.

So I'm no help :)

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Someone should be able to tell us what the go is with em.As far as I know they are all the same speed alert units.Theres nothing different that I can see.When I hold all 3 buttons in on mine and turn on the key it does nothing at all,it stays blank until I let the buttons go.My mates just comes up with 100 km/h and then when you press set it displays 0 km/h and then its set permanent with no flashing light.I thought the wiring would be the same but wasnt sure until 88greenvn confirmed there is no difference in the wiring.Maybe its the actual speed alert unit.Some might be different.It doesnt seem to go by the models either,they are the same in VR or VS, some set permanent,some dont.Theres gotta be a reason why though.

Last edited:

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I will definitely be trying that next time I see him,thats if he dont mind me pulling his dash apart.I will post what I find when I get a chance to do it.I was thinking about getting a couple of different units from a wreckers and trying them to see if theres any difference.Hopefully someone here will read this and be able to shed some light on the matter.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I had my speed alert set on temporary electronic speedo today (with the stupid light flashing away) and it reads about 3 to 5 km/h different to the actual speedo .Then I looked at the tech 1 speed readout and it showed a different speed again,about 2-4 km/h difference again from the other two.3 different speeds showing up,I wonder which one is closest to being right.