Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Starting fault

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Has it ever run correctly since you've owned it?

Colby5.7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore
Has it ever run correctly since you've owned it?
Further in the thread mate I have spoken of the situation. Young girl owns it. It died on the highway one day. Some cowboys worked on it , changed out the engine and hasnt ran since, thats all I or the owner knows. Hence the frustration. They were that rough they fitted the engine and both 02 sensor plugs were trapped between the trans and engine so that gives you an idea of the people that worked on it. Lol.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah, sorry, I read dozens of threads daily and occasionally get **** mixed up.

But that does make it worse as you don't know the replacement engine condition. I agree with @Fu Manchu , the miss-firing and firing out the intake are classic symptoms of a timing error. However on the V6 the timing is fairly much fixed by the CAS sensor and harmonic balancer and is not adjustable.

There is a factory wiring loom earth point on the back of the passenger side head that can be easily overlooked.

Colby5.7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore
Yeah, sorry, I read dozens of threads daily and occasionally get **** mixed up.

But that does make it worse as you don't know the replacement engine condition. I agree with @Fu Manchu , the miss-firing and firing out the intake are classic symptoms of a timing error. However on the V6 the timing is fairly much fixed by the CAS sensor and harmonic balancer and is not adjustable.

There is a factory wiring loom earth point on the back of the passenger side head that can be easily overlooked.
I have checked that earth. It is there and good and solid. Has new crank angle sensor fitted also. I guess the thing is, it is a VT how much do you invest in it? For me its now about knowing what the issue is. Curiosity.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Does it look like the front timing cover has been off?

Problem with the V6 is there is no external timing mark so you can't simply put a timing light on it and confirm the actual timing :(

Colby5.7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore
Does it look like the front timing cover has been off?

Problem with the V6 is there is no external timing mark so you can't simply put a timing light on it and confirm the actual timing :(
I havent really looked. Will sus it out tomorrow though.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Car died on the highway. The cowboys that worked on it did an engine swap. I programmed another new key for it this morning still no go. Can smell fuel. Tries to fire here and there but thats it.
The cowboys stole the old engine and put in a buggered one.

I’m going to bet, someone tried a major repair on that motor and put the cam in wrong, with the timing now off.

Colby5.7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore
The cowboys stole the old engine and put in a buggered one.

I’m going to bet, someone tried a major repair on that motor and put the cam in wrong, with the timing now off.
I think you could be on to something mate. I feel for the young girl that owns it. Hence me reaching out on here for assistance to attempt to fix it for her as cheaply as possible.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Who’s not say they had two or three motors lying around and thought to put them together to get one good one. Then make a mistake in its crude assembly.

All speculation though. We need facts. Timing cover off, plugs out confirm timing? Have I got that right?
I’m pretty rusty on Ecotecs now.