Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Starting issues vt calias

natsroy

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 vt calias
Hi guys I have searched on here for this problem and don't seem to see the same thing anywhere.
Sometimes when I go to start the old girl I turn the key and it cranks and just fires then stalls, then when I try again it won't fire unless I give it half throttle and keep cranking almost as if it was flooded the problem seems to be getting worst I'm sure I even heard a small back fire once.
There are so many starting problems posted on here with so many different opinions I'm not sure where to start.
If it was carbureted I would suspect a faulty choke but does anyone know what it is.
Cheers

Mick06 svz

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 vz svz 3.5l alloytec
From what it sounds like you’re saying it happens sometimes?? Does it happen all the time? Can you hear the fuel pump when you open the cap? Haven’t driven car for a while..stale fuel? Tried taking out the fuel pump relay and crank the motor a few times to clear motor and fuel lines? Had the same issue not long ago.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Well the choke equivalent is the throttle body so I'd pull the plastic pipe off and check and clean everything from air filter to the throttle body and Iac valve. Watch a few good YouTube vids on cleaning throttle bodies as there are a few do's and dont's.
And don't touch the TPS!

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
Twice I've had the same symptoms, once was running the beast on the 95 and after a month those exact symptoms and after reverting back to 91 all good again. Just recently after replacing the fuel pump I took all the 91 fuel from the tank and stored in a container and about 2 months latter I finally fitted the pump and put the same fuel back in the tank and oh yes those same symptoms. Syphoned the stale fuel out and filled with new fuel and again all good.