Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

steering wheel controls malfunction

B-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Calais S2
the steering wheel contorls dont work properly.
when i press the vol up and down buttons it just keeps turning the volume up.
and when i press mute it sometimes doesnt work.
anyone know whats require to fix this?
and how easy is it to take these off?

vy2002

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Very common problem.

Youll need to replace the set -both left and right controls. They are connected together on the same wiring.

Youll need to disconnect the battery first due to the airbag, then behind the steering wheel, there are 4 holes on the rear. Youll need to put a small flade blade screw driver into each hole, and turn slightly anticlockwise. Youll feel it release a tab. Do this in all 4 holes, and it will release the centre pad with horn and airbag. The rest is pretty easy from there. Just unscrew the audio controls with a phillips head screwdriver, and I had to slightly unclip the rear steering wheel plastic cover bit by bit, so that I could get the wiring out. Hard to explain, but youll work it out whilst doing it.

Just follow the first couple of steps in the thread below in order to get the airbag/horn pad off
Youll also see a pic of the rear of the steering wheel in the last steps in the below thread, and also shows the unclipped rear cover which you unclip to free the wiring.

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/guide-removing-vy-vz-steering-wheel.79695

Last edited:

DECIMATOR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
You can get the parts on eBay for cheap enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Calais S2
you wouldnt believe it. was testing it all out to see which buttons were playing up if it was just one side or both and they all worked fine...??

vy2002

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
you wouldnt believe it. was testing it all out to see which buttons were playing up if it was just one side or both and they all worked fine...??

yep, again very common

happened to me in my previous vy acclaim

would happen some days, other days would work perfect

i ended up just replacing the pair, and the problem never came back again.

There are two types of radio controls - the early models which seemed to have the most problems have a very distinctive clicking noise when pressing the buttons.
The later VY and VZ buttons have a more cushion like button which doesnt make clicking noises, and have a soft feel when pressing them. These cushion ones are apparently the go, and less likely to have problems. I guess if buying second hand rather than new, try and get some from a VZ

VRStato64

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS II 6 speed
I was considering just removing mine. They aren't hooked up to the head unit and the drivers side buttons are busted and rattle around. Also blind me with exposed lights at night haha

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
I was considering just removing mine. They aren't hooked up to the head unit and the drivers side buttons are busted and rattle around. Also blind me with exposed lights at night haha

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

I'd lash out and get the steering wheel adaptor to be honest.

VRStato64

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS II 6 speed
I'd lash out and get the steering wheel adaptor to be honest.

That would require me to get new buttons as well :( haha. Not a priority got a bunch of other mods to come first.

Last edited:

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
"Reply With Quote" fails you my friend lol.