Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stereo turning itself down??

melissasd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I just bought a 2004 VY SS about a month ago, and have noticed not long after that when driving along if I go faster than about 60 the music turns itself down to about half way and when I try to turn it back up again it won't go any higher even though the display says it is.

What's happening here?

I spoke to 2 different guys at holden and one said it was something to do with something inside and to fix it, it will cost over $1000 - I don't think so.
Another guy said it is probably programed into my car to turn down when it gets too noisy?

Of course my extended warranty doesn't cover it...

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Something is definitely wrong there.....i know the VYs have a few options in the main display (forgot the word for it) so i would try scrolling through them and adjust things (like anti-distortion) to see if anything changes, if you already havent tried this.

Otherwise a new head-unit may be required......will cost much less than $1000 though, more like $200-$300.

melissasd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Thanks for that holdenboy, i'll have another fiddle with it again tomorow while it's still cooler outside.
That's what one of the holden guys said, the head unit, maybe I should go to a different holden tomorow and ask there what it's worth - typical trying to rip me off probably lol

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
I think you may have mis-understood me, the $200-$300 i said was for an aftermarket unit supplied and fitted with the facia kit. If you want the original unit then maybe a wrecker could help you out, also keep an eye out on here in the FS section and Ebay.....

Heres one i found on Ebay from a VY SS (assuming yours is the six CD version):
BLAUPUNKT 6 DISC STEREO HEAD UNIT. VY VZ - eBay Players, Audio, Video, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 22-Jan-10 10:09:18 AEDST)

If it isnt the six CD version theres a few on there for sale, just make sure when you buy one the seller has the security code for it.

Also, theres a chance that its not the actual stereo causing the problem (although it is more than likely), its just not 100% certain to fix it.....but for $100-$200 its worth a try compared to $1000 ;)

melissasd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Thanks for the help.

I found an older post that had instructions to fix it and it worked, so thankfully nothing has crapped itself in it, it's just the way they are when everything gets loud.

scozz76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2014 Evoke - VYII Acclaim
Make sure you contact the guy at Holden who said it would cost over $1000 to fix and call him a twat.

Just another reason why we should avoid the Holden Service Dept.

trentvy

Dodges raindrops
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy S pack
look there is 2 options in teh cars menu (when u frist turn it on hold mode and set or something like that) and there is one option which makes the stereo go louder as u accelerate to compensate for road noise. and the other option is the auto turn down to avoid damage to the speakers. its in there mate cause I had the same problem.

melissasd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Yeah I mentioned above I got it all sorted now after reading an old post saying how to fix it :thumbsup:
Thanks

Luke0011

Car Audio Installer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina 2005
Distortion Limiter setting is what you turn off to remove this problem.