Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Storm stripped of Premierships

satos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
Melbourne Storm well and trully have got the book thrown at them.
They should of done what AFL football club Carlton did with Chris Judd and paid their players by an external company ( VISY ).It works for Carlton so why not the Melbourne Storm.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
really would have loved being one of the people putting those $50,000 bets on the storm being wooden spooners just before the press conference...... would be rolling in it by now.
someone knew before the conference, and decided to make a retirement fund.

matty johns "i feel really sorry for the players" ; why the hell would you? they were all recieving "under the table" cash payments! they all knew they were doing the wrong thing, the idiots that got tattoo's for it are just that. idiots, especially if they were cheating players on the team.

They werent recieving "under the table" payments. They were being paid unfront. It was all going into the bank accounts and coming from 3rd party sponsors. The financial officers were just hiding what they were paying them from EVERYONE. Billy Slater didnt sit there with his calculator saying well I earn X amount... and Cameron Smith earns this amount and Inglis earns this amount... WOW were over the salary cap.

As Phil Ghould said last night. Melbourne knows what it costs to have an exciting, successful team. You can either pay your players top money, or watch teams like Cronulla fumble around like retards. The cap needs to be raised to stop the top talent going to either a) England to play Super League or b) Union.

The problem Storm has, and the problem Broncos have had for the last 20 years. They take no name players and transform them into international players in 3 seasons. Then they are taken away from them and they are stuck with nothing.

Also funny to see that the **** clubs are already licking the lips with the amount of Storm talent that has just come on the market.

rb26dett

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2 A4
Feel for the fans having been there myself in 2002.

tonza

Beers & Blastbeats
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 VX Exec S2
Couldn't have happened to a nicer club :)

Maci

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Holden Statesman
Thats a big call, you know for a fact they were receiving under the table payments? Many players would NOT have known. Maybe 1 or 2 knew, but not the entire team. That said, 1.7 mill over 5 years is just over 300k, between 30+ players listed on salary thats a whopping 10k each on average. Anyone who thinks that is worthy of being stripped of premierships seriously has issues.

The only cheats here are the administrators of the storm.

its not the 10k average each thing, the issue is the bulldogs did it and got in trouble, and for the storm to not realise or see it was going to happen to them, they deserve harsh punishment.
the reason the punishment i believe was so severe is because that team would have probably been seperated into different teams with each player signing up for more money elsewhere. they have a fantastic team on paper, and its been reflected in the past few years.

i have edited my previous post to agree with your opinion, i do agree with what you have said in that aspect.

Swordsy

mmmm beer....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VUII Maloo R8 - HX Tonner - XJR1200 - XR450R
Tooheys.jpg

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Why did the Juniors lose their premierships, these lads get paid about as much as a kid working at McDonalds.