Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sudden Loss of Power Steering WHEN DRIVING

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Has anyone had any luck with this same issue on vehicles, like mine, that were manufactured just out of the noted recall date of April 2015. Mine was built Sept15. Had this happen to me twice now. The 2nd time being today.
The fact your car isn't on the recall list doesn't mean there isn't a problem that Holden should cover under factory warranty, 100% good will or ACL statutory warranty.

EPS system shoudn't suffer failures as they are a critical part of the vehicle control and this it's safety...

Don't get caught up too much in whether it's a recall or not... Instead focus on the fact your car is exhibiting aspects of EPS assistance failure which shoudn't be occuring. Products are suppose to be robust, fit for purpose, safe, etc, all according to consumer law. A failing EPS doesn't meet such legal requirement (while making the vehicel unsafe) and as such thesekker and manufacturer have obligations under law (regaldless of recall status of not).

Get Holden (selling dealer and and the manufacturer) to investigate the root cause of your problem and if they are reluctant, push them... And while your at it, remind them both that as experts in the vehicle systems, they are liable for any crashes, injuries or deaths that occur because they failed to determine the EPS fault causes and let you drive home in a potentially dangerous vehicle.

kiwod

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV MY16
The fact your car isn't on the recall list doesn't mean there isn't a problem that Holden should cover under factory warranty, 100% good will or ACL statutory warranty.

EPS system shoudn't suffer failures as they are a critical part of the vehicle control and this it's safety...

Don't get caught up too much in whether it's a recall or not... Instead focus on the fact your car is exhibiting aspects of EPS assistance failure which shoudn't be occuring. Products are suppose to be robust, fit for purpose, safe, etc, all according to consumer law. A failing EPS doesn't meet such legal requirement (while making the vehicel unsafe) and as such thesekker and manufacturer have obligations under law (regaldless of recall status of not).

Get Holden (selling dealer and and the manufacturer) to investigate the root cause of your problem and if they are reluctant, push them... And while your at it, remind them both that as experts in the vehicle systems, they are liable for any crashes, injuries or deaths that occur because they failed to determine the EPS fault causes and let you drive home in a potentially dangerous vehicle.
Holden have said that its the same parts used to fix it as per the recall. Steering rack rebuild kit. They also said that a good will claim will be rejected based on the fact I'm not the original owner and the car is no longer serviced by Holden.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
How do you know if your car has had the recall done, or any recalls done?

kiwod

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV MY16
My VF MY16 had this issue this morning when i was taking the kids to school Power steering assistance unavailable. Service Power Steering.
Lucky wasn't to far from home. I called my holden dealership took all day to respond and is saying the VIN isn't on the register and the service manager hasn't heard of any recalls of VF commodores on the issue and wanted me to bring the car in and charge $180 just for diagnosing.

Just quick update the car was found the have the faulty part, had steering rack replaced even though my vin number wasn't on the recall list. Took the car in on the 22nd Aug all covered by holden. Hope this helps anyone with the same problem its worth getting the error checked at the dealership.
Would you be willing to provide further details of your vehicle to help me with a claim with Holden?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Holden have said that its the same parts used to fix it as per the recall. Steering rack rebuild kit. They also said that a good will claim will be rejected based on the fact I'm not the original owner and the car is no longer serviced by Holden.
If the dealer has already identified the root cause and it’s the same fix as the recall, then worryingly it looks like a pearler of an admission that the recall hasn’t actually fixed the root cause of EPS failure :mad: something the regulators may be interested in :cool:

Regardless of that pearler, the underlying issue of a failure of power steering assistance making the vehicle unsafe still exists regardless how Holden wants to classify it. Given that ACL requires products to be safe and that this EPS failure simply makes it unsafe, you’d have a valid statutory warranty claim you can make directly to the dealer that sold the car to you. Unfortunately, if you bought it privately, ACL doesn’t apply (but safety recalls do).

So I‘d ring both your state consumer group to discuss how to proceed in getting this unsafe vehicle fixed under statutory warranty (if bought from a dealer) and regardless ring ACC to discuss this issue of continued EPS failure with an vehicle that supposedly has the fixed rack from factory yet still has the failure (and Holden’s behaviour to fob it off as a retail repair which many may not be able to afford if this proves to be a wider problem with a potential ineffective recall solution).

I’d imaging with a well prepared case, QCAT would be rather sympathetic… And don’t forget that the primary ACK obligation rests with the selling business so if a Kia dealer sold you the Holden, they’d be on the hook for providing a safe repair to the unsafe product they sold you…

Roll up your slivers and keep you elbows tucked in :p