Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sudden Loss of Power Steering WHEN DRIVING

wobbles123

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SV6 Auto Ute, 2013 VF SV6 Auto Sedan.
I have a VF2 MY16 manufactured in 2015 and this problem has occurred twice in the past week. Also not listed in the affected VIN numbers. It's done about 75,000km.

Any thoughts would be welcome. I'm slowly reading the 60 odd pages in this thread o_O

I have a 2013 SV6 Aut0 Car....it was never on the recall list...and never ever received a noteification to take it back to Holden dealership for rectification.... anyway I rang the dealership and they said....we will replace the half of the ESP that has the the dodgy connectors anyway....it was done in 3 hours....GREAT.

Never had any problems prior to this or now....although they did put die-electric grease on the contacts.... probably about 2 months after I bought the car prior to the recall.

I doubt if they would have the replacement units now.....you could try anway....I hope this helps.,,,,,I do not know if there are any after market replacment units available on the flea market....maybe they are regurgutated units.....be careful.

Arkhon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS-V MY2016
I've just dropped my 2015 MY16 SSV off at HSV Haval/GMSV Chullora for inspection and hopefully the the proper fix. Mentally preparing for an argument if not.

The VIN is not on the recall list, but is only off by 200 or so units, also its an extremely early Series 2, so I'm hoping they'll just do it.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Holden seem to be playing hardball with some warranty claims… As this is a safety item, I’d hope they won’t be real douchebags about it…

Let us know how it goes :cool:

John Revill

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.2L A6
I've just dropped my 2015 MY16 SSV off at HSV Haval/GMSV Chullora for inspection and hopefully the the proper fix. Mentally preparing for an argument if not.

The VIN is not on the recall list, but is only off by 200 or so units, also its an extremely early Series 2, so I'm hoping they'll just do it.
Good Luck. After two years of debates with Holden because my VIN is not on the list and video evidence of the problem, still nothing. I've just given up, which is probably what Holden/GM wanted. So they win. My next car wont be a Holden or GM anyway. Going to get myself a 6.4L Hemi Jeep. Service can be worse than Holdens.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Good Luck. After two years of debates with Holden because my VIN is not on the list and video evidence of the problem, still nothing. I've just given up, which is probably what Holden/GM wanted. So they win.
Just take them to small claims court and let the judge know the history of GM/Holden handling of the EPS assistance failure issue and the many attempted solutions (some of which made things worse) before they finally decided on a recall. The troubled history is listed in the earlier pages of this thread…

Then show the judge your video evidence and define the fault you have as major fault under ACL… As such ask for a full purchase price refund as your chosen remedy under ACL so you can go buy another safer car.

Businesses that play these games only win because buyers can’t put one day of planing and one day of court attendance aside.
My next car wont be a Holden or GM anyway. Going to get myself a 6.4L Hemi Jeep. Service can be worse than Holdens.
Hahahaha

Supposedly Jeep service is abysmal service… worse than GM/Holden…… supposedly…

Arkhon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS-V MY2016
Today's update.

They've had the car overnight, and they've driven it a bunch (apparently) and they can't get it to fault. In their words, they don't want to just start chucking parts at it that may not fix it. They're gonna keep it all day today and keep trying to fault it, and if it doesn't...then they can't/won't? do anything at this stage.

:rolleyes:

wobbles123

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SV6 Auto Ute, 2013 VF SV6 Auto Sedan.
Today's update.

They've had the car overnight, and they've driven it a bunch (apparently) and they can't get it to fault. In their words, they don't want to just start chucking parts at it that may not fix it. They're gonna keep it all day today and keep trying to fault it, and if it doesn't...then they can't/won't? do anything at this stage.

:rolleyes:
It is about a 3 hour job...if you have to take off the engine splash plate under neath....to get at the EPS....I think later models did not have the spash plate.
They replaced my SV6 2013 early model EPS even though it was not showing any faults....this was back in good old days when GMH were trying to get rid of all their spare parts...I think!
Insist that they replace the unit regardless....and check if they did...by marking the unit across with some paint where they join..you can then see whether they did do the job or not.
I once owned a 5 litre GTS under warranty and I maked all the spark plugs to see if they replaced them....they rang me back to ask why I marked all the the plugs......that is one way to know if they did the job....an old trick from way back from the FC days.

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Going to get myself a 6.4L Hemi Jeep. Service can be worse than Holdens.
It can indeed! And apparently is. Plus Australian-made Holdens look like 80's spec Benzes next to a Jeep in terms of build quality ... fingers crossed it doesn't spend too many weeks at the dealer in the first year or two of ownership!

Arkhon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS-V MY2016
In a shock to no-one, it didn't fault while they had it for two days, so they won't do anything about it. Their solution was to keep driving it, and if it does it again, call them straight away to see if they can fit it in and drive it straight there without turning it off.

Assuming they have time to see it immediately, and its not night or a weekend. :rolleyes: