Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Super Cat Converters

T

thomasr

Hi guys I got my new exhaust on my vp commodore it's a 2 1/2 cat back straight through muffler going into a hot dog sounds great. I was just wondering would it make any difference it i put on a sports high flow Cat converter on it. I don't know much about them so can any one explain prices and how much they are fitted thanx for ya help thomasr

spac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S Pac S2 M5
High Flow Cats

Hey,

When I did my exhuast system I said I wanted the high flow cat and the guy said value for money to performance was not worth it! But I did it anyway!!

I was Told that They are a lot stronger and take more power going through them and a lot more revs.

Not that my Ecotec will rev to 8000 rpm! rev limited to 6500!

I was already spending up so I just wanted the best from extractor to tip! And any kiloWatt gain was good enough for me!

Hop that helps!

Catch,

Mark

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
basically the difference between a high flow cat and the one u have is that the one you have already has a 2 1/4 inch core where as a high flow cat has a 2 1/2 inch core. the cats they have on the vn - vr are actually really good in a 2 1/4 inch system. iif your goin to put extractors on yes i would go for the high flow cat, if your not going to bother about extractors dont waste money on the cat.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
I still say high flow cats are a crock. I'm a firm believer in back pressure.

T

thomasr

How much do they cost fitted

Basically my heading says it all how much does a good High flow cat cost fitted. So do u guys thing it is more worth it getting extractors How much do A good set of extractors cost fitted thanx for ya help thomasr.

spac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S Pac S2 M5
Right Place

Just have alook around your area. I got a really good deal on a extractor to tip end! The most expensive part is the extractors, pacemaker.

Get a good brand, I hate those sixes going around that sound like they are running on 4 cylinders and people reving them cause they think they sound like 8's.

The high flow cat is only one of the parts the affect back pressure, if you have the proper mufflers on the exuast to suit then there should be no problem.

Cars with too low back pressure burn valves, sound bad - like they are choking, and perform worse then stoke systems!

Jeff

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE 4.2
If you want a high flow cat get a standard cat and cut the ends off and weld a bigger pipe on. True! that's all it takes -the standard cats have more than sufficient flow rating for any modified motor that is still driveable on the road.