Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Thinking of getting a VF Calais, questions first

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
My point was more to those that are interested in proving or busting the myth.....I'm sure they could speak to someone who deals with paint day in day out to get the definitive answer. They can even get info on paint hardness which also varies between manufacturers.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
^
True and point taken.
About the only time i visit a panel paint shop is when i've had a crash and need things fixed, which tankfully has been a rare occurance. So going to a panel paint shop feels somewhat like going to the dentist ;)

Paul Smedley

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY23 Tesla Model 3 RWD, MY23 Tesla Model Y RWD
^
Well people have definitely made comments about such and one said their paint was visibly ‘thin’ and patchy in the sun. So guess those forum members are telling porkies about their later VF’s :confused:
People may have that perception, doesn't make it true :)

DanielSS-V

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline
My car is an early build series 1 VF and I did notice when I rented a VF series 2 (2016 build) that there was less clear coat coverage in some areas, like inside the front guard edges (doors open) and in the engine bay. Maybe that is what the paint story is about? Holden did cost cut the cars as production went along with VF and VF2, like putting cheaper seat foam in the Redlines, so it is possible. Certainly Holden were looking to save money. As for thinner metal, that is probably started from the VF having thinner gauge metal on the door skins in comparison to VE

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
It was my understanding that the Redline seat foams were changed because too many people were collapsing them by sitting on them instead of taking a little extra time and moving the seat backwards before exiting or entering the car. These collapsed foams were then claimed on warranty.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
It was my understanding that the Redline seat foams were changed because too many people were collapsing them by sitting on them instead of taking a little extra time and moving the seat backwards before exiting or entering the car. These collapsed foams were then claimed on warranty.
If Holden were blaming the way people sat in their seat hoping to get out of warranty claims, that’s just like the famous Steve Jobbs reply to “just avoid holding it that way” (in reference to iPhone4 antenna design issue causein* dropped calls)

If seat foam was found to not hold up to normal use, obviously Holden should have updated it to something more long lasting. But I’ve read that the updated seats are not as comfortable as the new seats though I don’t have an older c’doore to compare my Motorsport seats to... so can’t say if the new foam is more or less comfortable ;)

Last edited:

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Seat bolstering is always fairly contentious, certain types of bolstering you can't make "more durable" if numpties sit on it a certain way getting in/out it's always going to wreck them.

Of course it's always the nicest bolstering that gets wrecked by the larger/older people.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
If Holden were blaming the way people sat in their seat hoping to get out of warranty claims, that’s just like the famous Steve Jobbs reply to “just avoid holding it that way” (in reference to iPhone4 antenna design issue causein* dropped calls)

If seat foam was found to not hold up to normal use, obviously Holden should have updated it to something more long lasting. But I’ve read that the updated seats are not as comfortable as the new seats though I don’t have an older c’doore to compare my Motorsport seats to... so can’t say if the new foam is more or less comfortable ;)

I don't believe Holden were trying to get out of warranty claims, I think that they changed the seat foams to a less supportive/hugging design so they would not have so many claims from fools sitting on and destroying the foams.
Personally I would rather have a larger bolster and take care of my seats than have a plain jane version, but as with everything in this life, the lowest common denominator is catered to.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
If the wheel disappeared, you might be able to get in the car without squishing the side-bolsters; but the wheel doesn’t disappear, forcing you down onto the bolsters as you get in. Bolsters that can stand a warranty’s-period worth of getting in & out should really be a pretty obvious Thing.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
If the wheel disappeared, you might be able to get in the car without squishing the side-bolsters; but the wheel doesn’t disappear, forcing you down onto the bolsters as you get in. Bolsters that can stand a warranty’s-period worth of getting in & out should really be a pretty obvious Thing.
I've seen squished ones. But, mine are standing proud. 5 years old and 75k's. You've just gotta look after them.