Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

This is not about commodores!

bloggsly

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX Calais supercharged
hey guys been awhile since i last posted as i own a holden so no probs! lol anyway i have a car related issue as in im having a problem explaining a car concept to a mate! the concept im trying to explain is the relationship between gear ratios in a gearbox! now as we all know when you change the ratio of an individual gear the only relationship change is between that gear and the change point of previous or later gears! so if you change the ratio of first gear it only effects first gear and the change point into second gear!! this will not change any other gear change relationship! My mate thinks that if you change ratios of first then all gear changes are effected like a diiferential ! now ive tried to explain to him just as iu have you and he refuses to accept it , so maybe im not explaining it right and any help would be much appreciated! thanks in advance!

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Some gears use a different combination of sets through the box so '1st gear' might for example effect 1st and 3rd gears but not effect 2nd/4th/5th.

Let your mate know that the gearbox has an input shaft and an output shaft and that your wiggle stick in the cockpit is for SELECTING DIFFERENT GEAR RATIOS which can be found along those shafts.
Unlike a diff which has 1 gear set inside and will only ever run on that ratio unless physically changed to a new set.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Have a play with the following site

And watch the following:

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
It sounds like trying to explain why using e10 doesn't save money to some people I know.
But it's cheaper, so of course you save money $$ ;)
Good luck!

bloggsly

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX Calais supercharged
thanks guys but i think i need a visual or something as he just wont accept reality and still thinks if you change gear ratio of first that it has a significant effect on all gears like a diff but oh well sometimes ya just cant teach the stupid!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The gearing calculator has visual layout of the gears and speeds etc.

1643156593202.png

So it's perfect visual display.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
thanks guys but i think i need a visual or something as he just wont accept reality and still thinks if you change gear ratio of first that it has a significant effect on all gears like a diff but oh well sometimes ya just cant teach the stupid!

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Here is a visual
1643157681163.jpg

This is a Harley big block transmission.
Power comes from the clutch through the middle of the output pulley. The pulley runs a belt to the back wheel obviously.