Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tools & Tool Brands

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Just imagine trying to change a flat on one of those 4x4 pavement queens with 22" rims and huge tyres and 6 nuts per wheel...

Reactions: Lex

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Just imagine trying to change a flat on one of those 4x4 pavement queens with 22" rims and huge tyres and 6 nuts per wheel...

They'd be stuffed if they didn't have a workshop manual with torque settings...;)

Really the funniest thing is, them struggling to lift the spare onto the car.....Heavy as all get go

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Changing a tire should be part of the drivers test or show you have road side assistance insurance for those less able.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Changing a tire should be part of the drivers test or show you have road side assistance insurance for those less able.
Yes, much more needs to be tested before someone is allowed to take their license out of that cornflakes box… including what is safe behaviour around a broken down vehicle and not just limited to how to safely change a wheel roadside.

Unfortunately your roadside assistance may not be able to be relied upon to help so it’s best to check your terms and conditions. Why check, because years ago they wouldn’t change a wheel on big SUV due to OH&S as a relative found out…

Maybe things have changed since then and now they’re required to carry a portable wheel lift hoist. But one can’t be certain they’d be allowed to help unless they ask their roadside assistance provider what the rules are around the humongous wheels fitted to the many SUV/4x4 behemoths we see infecting our roads…

Last edited:

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
My daughter in law joked to her friends that she had enrolled at our families driving school for the whole driving experience.
- this phone call took place as she was getting ready to drive a demolition derby car off the car trailer - whilst on L plates and 3 lessons into learning to drive. Nothing like being thrown in the deep end!

both of my kids learnt to change tyres, check fluids, air pressure etc early on. Add in basic servicing and brake pads etc once they started driving. Some of my kids friends have no idea how to do anymore than add petrol to vehicle :(

(My kids still have roadside too, they do drive 90's commodores after all lol)

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I think roadside assist should be compulsory.

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
I think roadside assist should be compulsory.
I saw 2 VEs with flat tyres on the expressway yesterday less than 1KM apart. RAA on the second one, noone at all around the first one.

roadside here is a few dollars a month. and its on the person not the car, so I consider it well worth the coin with our shitbox fleet.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Roadside is better than runflats or getting your hands dirty. I paid like $100 extra with my insurance for it

@Skylarking If they can't do the job on the roadside they tow it for you. You have to tell them what the vehicle is you're getting coverage for so they know what to charge and expect

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
I saw 2 VEs with flat tyres on the expressway yesterday less than 1KM apart. RAA on the second one, noone at all around the first one.

roadside here is a few dollars a month. and its on the person not the car, so I consider it well worth the coin with our shitbox fleet.
I used to have it a few years ago (roadside assist). But never used it. Figured it was easier to just fix myself. So cancelled the roadside assist.

If l did a motor or tranny or diff l'd ring the local wrecker, who has a flat top. He would charge $80.00 dollars, to bring the car home.

This is local towing rates only.

So far l haven't had to use his service except when sending the car (mockup car) for tailshaft build for 6L50 conversion.
$80.00 each way. Much easier than hiring a trailer.