Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Torque Wrenches 2.0

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Nuts & Bolts Tas does them locally. Well they have a bloke who comes in to do them. Similar shop in WA may or may know where to get them done..

OldBomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I got one from ALDI 28-210Nm. Don't fancy it lasting longer than once. Used it last week to remove a stubborn cold spark plug

Last edited:

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Honestly for the cost of calibrations it's normally more cost effective to just buy new ones if using it for odd jobs and it needs to be in cal.

We get all sorts of things calibrated at work (well mainly all elec test equip).
I'd assume the same places could do the torque wrenches.
I remember there being a torque tester for my Wiha gear, but as I don't need it within specs it wouldn't be worth the cost. Was something aimed at production factories that were certified, probably similar to aircraft stuff which is highly regulated.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Honestly for the cost of calibrations it's normally more cost effective to just buy new ones if using it for odd jobs and it needs to be in cal.
My Repco TW is a med priced one at $265 on a 20% sale. You saying it would cost nearly that to calibrate it?

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
The question is. Do you need it calibrated?
Factor in costs to and from, time (if you want) and that they won't actually calibrate it, but compare to a known reference and give it a sticker.

I think that's where many get confused. Years ago a calibration would be to reference a known, multiple tests and if it was out then possibly tune it to be within specs. Retest and all that good stuff.
For a torque wrench there isn't such features on many that would allow a rebuild and to keep it in specs that way.
Basically if it failed "Cal" youde be buying a new one anyway.
If that makes sense.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Then I don't understand why people mention that TW's need calibration if it can't be done?

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Then I don't understand why people mention that TW's need calibration if it can't be done?

It’s probably more to ‘check’ the calibration, rather than to adjust it.

At the end of the day, it wouldn’t be too difficult to rig up a basic checking rig at home. Torque is force times distance, so a cord and some weights will soon provide torque. It wouldn’t be super accurate, but probably good enough to confirm that the torque wrench is in the ballpark.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Interesting.
I started looking into being able to do a basic test and cal myself.
Screenshot_2023-07-26-16-33-50-01_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Note,
Now that I look at that further, it might be 90 for a calibration, not 90 for a checking fixture.
Hmm, might have to message them.