Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Townsville man fined $146 for doing 1km/h over speed limit

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
A TOWNSVILLE man has copped a $146 fine for driving 1km/h over the speed limit.
Jake Cassidy, 21, was pulled over on December 23 and accused of clocking 61km/h in a 60km/h zone.
Mr Cassidy was driving a company car on a delivery and is not convinced he was 1km/h over.
The police officer did not use a speed gun to catch Mr Cassidy but measured the speed by driving behind him.

"He told me I was speeding and I said I wasn't and it kind of went back and forth," he said.
Mr Cassidy claimed that, during the argument, the officer told him the fine was a case of "revenue raising".
Has something similar happened to you? Tell us below
Yesterday after being contacted by The Courier-Mail for comment, police said Mr Cassidy's fine was "being reviewed".
Mr Cassidy then received a call from police telling him the fine had been cancelled and offering him an apology.
Last night, police were unable to say what triggered the change but added officers would continue "scrutiny of all road users" to ensure safety of the public.
"Kirwan police will continue to maintain vigilance towards road safety through the Christmas break and into the New Year," they said.
"The circumstances around the issuing of this particular infringement notice have been reviewed and the decision to cancel the infringement has been approved by senior police."
Mr Cassidy said he was going to attend the police station to question the fine before he received the call.
"They just said the officer was in the wrong and they were cancelling the ticket," he said.
He said the apology made "a little bit" of difference, but he questioned whether the fine would have been waived had they not been contacted by The Courier-Mail.
Mr Cassidy said he had lost his licence for speeding in 2012 and said the incident forced him to rethink his attitude.

The police are really trying hard to turn the community against them lately arent they

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Besides if it was only 1kmh, and was measured via 'clocking', would have been very hard to prove in court.

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
but how many people have time to go to court and risk it.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
ive been done for 3k's over. even then i remember having another car driving parallel with at the time i saw the flash. probably got his fine, or they sent one to both of us. as i didnt have time to go to court and fight it i just had to pay.

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
ive been done for 3k's over. even then i remember having another car driving parallel with at the time i saw the flash. probably got his fine, or they sent one to both of us. as i didnt have time to go to court and fight it i just had to pay.

Luckily in NZ with speed camera fines if there is more than one car in the photo it isn't processed.

Very lucky for me as in my younger days I was racing a Toureg and we both passed the camera at a good deal over the speed limit.

Haven't done anything that stupid since!

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Never been to Kirwan, west Townsville, but I sail past QLD mobile police several times a day within 5k of the posted limit no probs. There's more to the story methinks.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Never been to Kirwan, west Townsville, but I sail past QLD mobile police several times a day within 5k of the posted limit no probs. There's more to the story methinks.

There has to be surely , still somewhat draconian , even for Queensland , and having served in the South African Police , that's saying something .

Dave6179

Reaction score
Members Ride
HJ Belmont, VN Calais, VX SS
Promoting road safety? How... by pissing people off and turning them into an aggresive driver from that moment onwards??? Yeh, real safe!
As above, not all the details put forwards. 21 y/o Cassidy might just be a real cock, or real unlucky.
Had kids here spewing about being 'picked on by the cops'. I tell em to stop attracting the cops!

corhijasna

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss commodore / WM Caprice V
I think the young fella has been a bit of a trouble maker,they just had this on the today show-lol

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
The Police HAVE to prove you guilty, and up to (not sure what year) the ADR's allowed a variance of 10% in speedos.

Some of you may have seen the Commissioner of Police make a statement about this on TV when he was asked about the 10%, he simply said

"Well, you will just have to drive 10% slower than the speed limit" which indicates he is not too bright either.

This, and the fact the TV and Today's Courier Mail have run with it, are probably the reason it was dropped.