Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Turbo Comversion

A

ark it or park it

at the moment i have an 88 vl berlina and i'm looking at turboing it how much do u rekon it will cost and wot kinda gear should i run

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
a vl turbo conversion, i did a conversion on my old vl, it was just a normal exec. qot a few quotes on parts i needed, and i personaly came to the following desision.

i found it better for me to go and get a vl calais motor that was turbo'd and all the trims and accessory's that come with it. i didnt have the time to do up a vl motor with all the bit's required. the only thing i had to do was rebuild the bloody calais motor. there are way's of doing a turbo on a vl motor, peopel have told me change this and change that, most of the things i could do myself, but i know that a turbo runs a lower compression rate. how to lower compresion i realy dont know.

remember, my way wont alway's work for other people, i had money at the time to burn so i did it that way. im sure someone out there has done a conversion before

how ever it did cost me just under 5g to do that though. after buying the motor, i had the turbo and engine rebuilt, with a few mod's made. it did fly, but not anymore

cheers
garth'

V

vlturbo

I think they use a decompression plate on a standard rb30 to lower the compression then they add the turbo, manifold and the other turbo bits (its a bit more involved than this).

I would do like garth said and buy a turbo motor and save yourself they hassle in the long run. I would intercool it aswell some people would say you dont need to but once you have felt a turbo you will want more boost, i think the standard vl turbo engine can handle 12 psi without a intercooler before having troubles.

Another option would be to use a rb25det or if you have to much money drop in a rb26dett and blow almost anyone.

Dont forget to upgrade everything else like the brakes, diff and gearbox.

Hope this helps a little.