Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tyres

captncol

Reaction score
Members Ride
2018 Calais v
Need to put tyres on my zb calais v soon. It has Bridgestone RE050a on it now which are a nice tyre. Looking at RE003 Bridgestone and wondering if anyone else has gone this way ?245/35/20

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Need to put tyres on my zb calais v soon. It has Bridgestone RE050a on it now which are a nice tyre. Looking at RE003 Bridgestone and wondering if anyone else has gone this way ?245/35/20

this type of thing always comes down to what you are doing with the vehicle.

if all you do is drive it on the road to and from work, shops etc then putting an expensive track tyre on it is really pointless and the bridgestone 050a will serve that purpose perfectly fine.

if you take the vehicle on a track or drive it in a way on the road that someone would drive on a track then yes get the expensive track type of tyre because it will make a difference under those conditions.

if you just want to tell your mates that you have XXXXX installed because it contains more dragons then you should have bought a dualcab ute so you can bolt crap onto it but never go off road :p

just dont buy those really cheap tyres because they are junk and really should be illegal to sell here.

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR
So I just replaced the last original pair of Michelin Pilot Super Sports after 33000km - the first pair needed replacing early due to a excessive wear from a poor alignment (so make sure you get them aligned regularly folks - it will save you money!). Not too bad for a super sticky set of rubber like that. I was using some MPS4S on the front and despite me asking the garage to buy another pair they bought another set of MPSS because "that's what was on the car..." :rolleyes: After putting them on the front and moving the MPS4S to the rear I've noticed a small improvement in front end bite, particularly on initial turn in.

ads_german

Reaction score
So I just replaced the last original pair of Michelin Pilot Super Sports after 33000km - the first pair needed replacing early due to a excessive wear from a poor alignment (so make sure you get them aligned regularly folks - it will save you money!). Not too bad for a super sticky set of rubber like that. I was using some MPS4S on the front and despite me asking the garage to buy another pair they bought another set of MPSS because "that's what was on the car..." :rolleyes: After putting them on the front and moving the MPS4S to the rear I've noticed a small improvement in front end bite, particularly on initial turn in.
StrayKiwi, I'm assuming your fronts were the first pair of Super Sports you originally replaced - did they look like mine in the attached pics by any chance? I'm only just coming up on 17k kms on the car, went to rotate my tires front to rear, thinking I'll drag another 5k km out of them, and noticed the inner shoulders and rib immediately in from that are losing chunks of tread.

Rears have plenty of tread remaining and showing no signs of wear/damage like the front...

If the VXR wheel/tyre setup is particularly susceptible to a bit of excess negative camber, I guess that would explain the wear on the inner shoulders. I'm pretty unimpressed about the chunks of tread letting go though, given I don't drive my car overly hard and it's never been anywhere near a track. Admittedly they are the original tyres, so 5 years old, but I'm not filled with confidence to replace them with more Michelins...

Attachments

• Front Left 1.jpg
    Front Left 1.jpg
    322.5 KB · Views: 91
  • Front Left 2.jpg
    Front Left 2.jpg
    375.7 KB · Views: 88
  • Front Right 1.jpg
    Front Right 1.jpg
    357.4 KB · Views: 91
  • Front Right 2.jpg
    Front Right 2.jpg
    387.1 KB · Views: 78
  • Rear Left.jpg
    Rear Left.jpg
    406.6 KB · Views: 88
  • Rear Right.jpg
    Rear Right.jpg
    400.7 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR
Yes I did notice chunks coming out of the front tyres grooves. But you can also see from the attached photo the belts starting to show through the sidewall after some pretty nasty scrubbing. All due to a poor alignment.
IMG_3120.jpg

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Those chunks are a result of alignment settings....

It could either be not enough toe in or too much camber for your driving style

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
I put PS4 Sport’s on our VF Sportswagon 27,000Ks ago. The rears are nearly down to the tread indicators, while the fronts have still got about 10-15,000Ks left. (Maybe)

I didn’t rotate them when I should have (my bad) but I’m still not that impressed with the way they’ve worn on the rears.

I think I will be going back to the original Bridgestone Turanza’s next time. Although they were a bit of a harsher ride, they did last 60,000K’s.
19 inch rims by the way.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
I put PS4 Sport’s on our VF Sportswagon 27,000Ks ago. The rears are nearly down to the tread indicators, while the fronts have still got about 10-15,000Ks left. (Maybe)

I didn’t rotate them when I should have (my bad) but I’m still not that impressed with the way they’ve worn on the rears.

I think I will be going back to the original Bridgestone Turanza’s next time. Although they were a bit of a harsher ride, they did last 60,000K’s.
19 inch rims by the way.
Everyone on here bangs on about PS4S but as Stooge said above, it’s all horses for courses. If your not doing track work or spirited driving 90% of the time on them then it’s a waste of money.

I‘m running Pirelli Dragon Sports on the front of my SSV and they have been ok. No excessive wear from them but having said that they mostly do highway driving too and from work. I might do the occasional spirted drive once every couple of months and they work fine for that purpose.

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Everyone on here bangs on about PS4S but as Stooge said above, it’s all horses for courses. If your not doing track work or spirited driving 90% of the time on them then it’s a waste of money.
This. PS4S/PZeros are a performance tyre. They get their grip through the rubber adhering to the road and wearing away.

Generally you'll get one of: cheap, long lasting, grippy