Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Upgrading VE Stock Speakers - How To

AZ_SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE SSV
You could run a line out converter of you rear door speaker and use that as your amp input or,
Might as well run a 4 channel loc of the back of your head unit and upgrade all speakers, amp the speakers and add a sub into the boot. The door speakers are a good location, I wouldn't waste my time on a parcel shelf install.

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
I have a random question, anything wrong running 2 6x9s off 1 speaker wire. (My setup at the moment, I have a High output to the AMP/SUB from the left rear speaker wire and was thinking of installing 2 6x9s running off the right speaker wire?

I would easily do this to my 90s Honda but dont know about these late model cars :)

Last edited:

Micaxe

Reaction score
Members Ride
9/17 SSV Redline & 83 VH SS
Not something I would do, wouldn't sound the best. Need to keep separate left & right channels

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
Damn, i thought about installing another amp (spare one i already have) for the 6x9s but the power issues these VEs have with batteries stock, i kind of dont want to lol.

Dont really want to ditch the amp i have, but im guessing a 4 channel would be a wiser idea?

Last edited:

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
It all depends on the what amp, what speakers and how you wire it all up. If you wire them up in series, you increase the resistance and if you wire them up in parallel you decrease the resistance. If you don't know what you're doing you can do a lot of damage. And of course, as Micaxe said, you don't want both rear speakers running off the same channel for sound quality either, as per you're idea. But if you're thinking of running left door and 1 parcel shelf speaker from one output and the same for the right, you fix the sound but you really need to address whether it all still is within the amps specs. Personally I don't think you'll get any benefit form doing it and are better off just running 1 speaker per channel. (yes I do have a setup where I use 2 speakers wired together, but that's on a home system where I'm trying to manipulate the resistance so as not to destroy the amp). Hell, I didn't even bother amping the rear speakers in the car, just the fronts and sub. Plenty of noise for me.

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
It all depends on the what amp, what speakers and how you wire it all up. If you wire them up in series, you increase the resistance and if you wire them up in parallel you decrease the resistance. If you don't know what you're doing you can do a lot of damage. And of course, as Micaxe said, you don't want both rear speakers running off the same channel for sound quality either, as per you're idea. But if you're thinking of running left door and 1 parcel shelf speaker from one output and the same for the right, you fix the sound but you really need to address whether it all still is within the amps specs. Personally I don't think you'll get any benefit form doing it and are better off just running 1 speaker per channel. (yes I do have a setup where I use 2 speakers wired together, but that's on a home system where I'm trying to manipulate the resistance so as not to destroy the amp). Hell, I didn't even bother amping the rear speakers in the car, just the fronts and sub. Plenty of noise for me.

What would you suggest i do. I can only think of using a 4 ch amp? Is there a way i can do it using the stock head unit and a 2ch amp?

My goal, is to keep front speakers as they are (I think they have already been changed, because they sound pretty good)
* Dont want to touch the front doors.
* Dont want to touch behind the stereo.
Can only work with the 2 rear OEM speaker wires as they are easier to access.

Last edited:

SILKENSTEIN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina 2010
Just for future readers. I just swapped my 2010 Berlina wagon speakers over last night. All 4x door speakers were 4 ohm not 2 ohm. I'll be putting a similar post up in the nex few weeks of what I've done.