Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Using oil flush and cleaning oil pickup on VE SV6 questions

Blackout

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
I was of the understanding that you can't generally drive with flush in the oil as it effects the viscosity? When I flush I normally idle the engine for 20mins or so. LS have a habit of clogging lifters and a flush is good insurance to help keep them clean.
Nulon flush says you can drive it for 30 mins or so but I'm a bit hesitant to try that.
The flush I use, the max amount I put in is 83/84mls, so it's not going to have any big dramatic affect on the viscosity on the 5W30 6.7 litres of oil.
Flush works it's best magic under high heat operation & remember, if you drive at 100/110kms, the force that the oil pump will be moving the oil flush around will be alot better that idling.
You can safely take it for a drive anywhere, don't be scared.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have been told by a few different mechanics over the years not to drive with flush. I put about 600mls in mine as that's what the bottle says to do.

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
I’d be hesitant to drive with flush in the oil, unless the oil that is currently in my car is quite thicker than recommended from factory (e.g. running a thicker oil for excessive oil consumption reasons).

When I flush my car (with LY7 alloytec) I will put flush in my current old oil, then follow manufacture procedure. Then, I will then remove the sump to clean the oil pickup, just in case the flush has caused removed any large chunks of **** which could block the oil pickup. Lastly, I will fill the car with cheap oil of correct grade and replace the oil filter, take the car for a little thrash and limiter bash, so as to just remove any residual flush from the internals of the engine. Then, replace with a quality filter and quality oil. Service every 5k after that.

Bit excessive and time consuming, but should ensure the engine will receive a nice cleanse.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I have put engine flush in new oil before and it comes out black after 30mins or so.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The flush I use, the max amount I put in is 83/84mls, so it's not going to have any big dramatic affect on the viscosity on the 5W30 6.7 litres of oil.
Flush works it's best magic under high heat operation & remember, if you drive at 100/110kms, the force that the oil pump will be moving the oil flush around will be alot better that idling.
You can safely take it for a drive anywhere, don't be scared.
What happens if you put in 89mls?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Nothing, just wasting the product.
Routine maintenance is only 2.5mls a litre.
Not according to the manufacturer....... Where did you get your information from?

Blackout

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Not according to the manufacturer....... Where did you get your information from?
What is your question referring too?
2.5mls routine flush of 30-40mins high rev idle flush?

12.5mls dirty flush of 30-60mins high rev idle flush?

I've been using the product for over 6 years. I ask alot of questions about what can be done with it & what cannot be done.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
What is your question referring too?
2.5mls routine flush of 30-40mins high rev idle flush?

12.5mls dirty flush of 30-60mins high rev idle flush?

I've been using the product for over 6 years. I ask alot of questions about what can be done with it & what cannot be done.

Nothing, just wasting the product.
Routine maintenance is only 2.5mls a litre.
2.5mls per litre regardless of how its used is not what the directions say. Where did you get your information?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The Nulon bottle says to use a full bottle up to eight litres of oil. Other smaller bottles say to use it up to ...... oil which is less than eight litres. I'm interested to see where you have got the information that you can you so little and still get the same result?