Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve aircon not working at all

Prestan

Reaction score
Members Ride
've ss ute series 2
Hello everyone, currently have a ve calais 2009 and it started to a few weeks before it stopped working was a couple of times a week aircon wouldn't work but if it sat for like 10 to 15 mins it was fine then eventually it stopped completely and then when my uncle started the car it was fine then he turned it off then when it was started again bang not working again and then the next day it started smoking through air vents so wondering if it could be the blower motor as currently need it fixed due to winter coming up and windows fogging as nothing works on aircon, all help is appreciated thankyou.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Might be the compressor clutch not engaging. Also low gas from a leak will switch the ac off.
Gas will normally be regassed with a dye to allow leaks to be seen. Then leaks repaired.

Prestan

Reaction score
Members Ride
've ss ute series 2
Might be the compressor clutch not engaging. Also low gas from a leak will switch the ac off.
Gas will normally be regassed with a dye to allow leaks to be seen. Then leaks repaired.

The thing is aircon worked again next day then stopped then next day after it started smoking out of one of the middle vents and hasn't been working but my mother believes it was like a gas but just trying to see what people think as I was thinking on replacing the blower motor but don't want to chase my tale with it

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
It could have been gas. It could have been condensing cold air in a warmer humid environment. The fan is an easy one. 10min job.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
The thing is aircon worked again next day then stopped then next day after it started smoking out of one of the middle vents and hasn't been working but my mother believes it was like a gas but just trying to see what people think as I was thinking on replacing the blower motor but don't want to chase my tale with it
Is the blower motor actually working? Can you put the fan on without the aircon? If there is no airflow at all then it might be the blower motor. If the fan still works without the ac on then it’s got nothing to do with the blower motor.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Take it to your local aircon shop for a rebuild and gas up.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Is the blower motor actually working? Can you put the fan on without the aircon? If there is no airflow at all then it might be the blower motor. If the fan still works without the ac on then it’s got nothing to do with the blower motor.
Our blower motor was still working even though it was flogged out. Gave off a cheese smell. Bearing was buggered. Smell went away after the motor was replaced. No it wasn’t from in the hvac. Ask me how I know.

Prestan

Reaction score
Members Ride
've ss ute series 2
Ac on or off nothing goes through any air vents like there is no air at all

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Some VE’s had a aircon compressor clutch and some didn’t but all had a variable capacity compressor that is controlled by PCM signal from the BCM(?).

The compressor pulley/clutch also had a shear pin incase the compressor seized and if the pin indeed shears, the pulley/clutch will turn but the compressor innards won’t.

Then there are pressure sensors that will stop the compressor from working if the line pressure is too high or too low...

Assuming all the above are ok, the only other issue that could stop the cold air is either the evaporator has iced up and air can’t pass through it OR the fan has died so can’t push air. In the first instance you'd have cold air blowing and then the airflow would dies down and stop, in the second instance you won’t have airflow for aircon or heating (so could be failed fan or blown fuse, fault fan relay? don’t know)...

If you are not clear on how the electronics side works (and ideally you need an accurate wiring diagram to fault find), take it to and aircon expert.. It’s probably best to take it to an aircon expert in any case as you can’t legally work on the refrigeration side of the system.

Prestan

Reaction score
Members Ride
've ss ute series 2
Some VE’s had a aircon compressor clutch and some didn’t but all had a variable capacity compressor that is controlled by PCM signal from the BCM(?).

The compressor pulley/clutch also had a shear pin incase the compressor seized and if the pin indeed shears, the pulley/clutch will turn but the compressor innards won’t.

Then there are pressure sensors that will stop the compressor from working if the line pressure is too high or too low...

Assuming all the above are ok, the only other issue that could stop the cold air is either the evaporator has iced up and air can’t pass through it OR the fan has died so can’t push air. In the first instance you'd have cold air blowing and then the airflow would dies down and stop, in the second instance you won’t have airflow for aircon or heating (so could be failed fan or blown fuse, fault fan relay? don’t know)...

If you are not clear on how the electronics side works (and ideally you need an accurate wiring diagram to fault find), take it to and aircon expert.. It’s probably best to take it to an aircon expert in any case as you can’t legally work on the refrigeration side of the system.
It has no air at all on heater or cooler like nothing works and demister non of that works but compressor is kicking in we know that for sure but I'm just going to try replacing fan and hope it fixes it