Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Battery

Passion Red

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais
Hi,
I have an 06 VE Calais that frequently has a flat battery....and want to know if that is standard with the VE.
Haved called the RACV a few times and the guy told me that every time you open the door it sets off a chain of sequence that 'fires things up' that takes 16 minutes to shut down every time.
He said the VE was made with too small a battery for all the things it's meant to 'fire up'.

My husband has had auxiliary on playing cd's while cleaning it...and it won't start the next day.
If I am waiting in the car and listening to the radio/cd the battery light will come on after a few minutes!!

Is this normal?....thanks :)

V8Silverfox

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 VZ SS A4
I would very much doubt it ... has the battery been replaced? Getting four years out of a battery is pretty good going.

Passion Red

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais
Also,...just recently the '75,000km' service message comes up on the odometer...( it's not quite 75,000 yet)..as it does ...but also the orange engine light is coming on (sometimes) with a warning pic and a *ding* on the odometer screen as well. :eek: The other day it was a 'x' and said 'see your dealer'.

I was thinking it was another 'way' to make me/remind me to get the 75,000 service ????? or is it bad?

arrrgghhhh
Warranty ran out end of Nov '09

Passion Red

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais
No, the battery hasn't been replaced...original battery.....get a new one at next service you think?

The RACV guy said it was 65%

V8Silverfox

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 VZ SS A4
Wouldn't hurt. Either from Holden or an Exide Extra -> Exide :: Products
I just got the Exide for my VZ, mine was a bit lower around 59%, but was having a little trouble with starting and was getting strange warning messages (Service Vehicle Soon (SVS messages).
I haven't had them since I replaced the battery. The new battery also has a three year warranty.

Passion Red

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais
Ahhhh, thanks silverfox..that might be it.
The warning message ( started Mon) doesn't come on all the time...and I thought it had gone/stopped Weds...but then it came on again yesterday (Thurs)
About to go out again.- interesting to see if it's doing it today!! :)

jasonsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SR POS
No, the battery hasn't been replaced...original battery.....get a new one at next service you think?

The RACV guy said it was 65%

the battery is quite small and needs to be in the upper scale to start the car.
they dont take to being discharged very well. get it to the dealer this is a knowen problem and hit them up ask them what they are going to do to help you out you might not get the full wack under warranty but you might also save your self some pain

Passion Red

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais
Thanks Jason..the RACV guy said it was a 'known' problem.......and I have had them out to start it probably 3 times ( before the end of warranty) ..so may be they may take that into consideration.

It needs a service soon..so will ask then.

Engine Light did not come on either LOL

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
I haven't had a problem with mine. Radio's on the whole time it gets washed every week! lol. I think the V8s might have a bigger battery though. But 4 years is pretty good from a battery. Honestly though, I'd just get a newie from RACV. Bought a new battery for my last ute, just before selling it, from NRMA - got the steroid-enhanced battery that will kick over a saturn V rocket and it was A LOT cheaper than getting a standard replacement from Holden. Probably cheaper again to do it yourself but RACV will do it at your place and not too pricey if you're a member. Plus you don't have to reset your stereo! lol.

Passion Red

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais
Hey, BONUS advice tinsnips..thanks!! Wasn't sure if I could get another battery or would have to go for the 'Holden' one.
I'll get me a steroid sucker as well !!!! LOL
I'm over the weak assed battery thing.

It sucks that you have to be wary of it...like waiting in the car with the radio on and having to turn it off...or hubby not being able to listen to cd's while cleaning it....
Almost asked the RACV dude to put one in the other day, but he mentioned they didn't have one big enough at the time...