Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE BCM

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
How is a E39 or E39A ECU from a S2 VE with a LFX engine going to work in a 2006 VE ?!?
Oops,
Ye good point,
Different engines altogether.
I forgot that part,
as I got involved in reading about the issue/s.

Last edited:

73monaro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S3 ute. VE Calais
I’d be looking at the electrics of the air bag plugs/connectors under the seats,
And the wiring under the dash & console area, as these connectors don’t have silicone seals.
They may need drying out, and/or cleaning
I was reading somewhere if a vehicle had a airbag fault, it would lock out the ignition system,
I stand corrected if this is wrong,

But the service manual will assist with locating the connectors.

If you replace the BCM, this need to be linked to your ECU.

(Comment deleted so not to cause confusion)

all electrics from the affected area have been replaced, including the looms, the rest of the circuits have been tested and are fine and the ecm will operate with the airbag light on, my neighbours VE has there airbag light on and it still starts and drives.

I’ve spoken with a few people and I do need a matching Nos Ecm to clone mine.

mtd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1 Calais V V8
Sorry, I have absolutely nothing intelligent to contribute, but this...
Once cleaned and dried out car would crank and fire on start ya bastard.
Made me LOL.:D :D

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6, 2010 International, 1996 VS Exec
It's important if you get it cloned that the type of ECU matches like E69 E77 E39 E39A and that the #serv number matches. As long as those 2 match the other numbers mean nothing. But if you don't clone and want to fit and link then a couple more numbers need to match so be careful that you get the correct ECU for what you plan on doing.

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
all electrics from the affected area have been replaced, including the looms, the rest of the circuits have been tested and are fine and the ecm will operate with the airbag light on, my neighbours VE has there airbag light on and it still starts and drives.

What engine do you have in your Calais?, and which ECU do you have?

Depending were your located in “Australia”, assuming Euroa area,
I would be leaning towards finding a replacement at a wrecker,
Being a 2006 VE, there would be some available for sure,
If your willing to travel to melbourne or Gellong, check out Jollys Wreckers, as they have 3 sites that you could go and have a look at, and remove the ECU yourself,
But before you do go there, check out their website first to see which site may have a similar car, or engine similar to yours.
That said, if you recon yours is damaged, this might be the way to go,
But It will need to be VIN matched/cloned/reprogrammed.

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
Have you had it scanned for DTC’s ?
What are the DTC Codes that are logged ?,
As you mentioned you shorted the fuel pump relay and the pump operated, (that means the fuel pump module appears to operate ok) it looks like a fuel lock out is active,
It’s seems like it’s isolated the fuel pump after a collision,

Depending the which airbag code it is, this could be the cause for the fuel pump to not operate.
(You may not need a replacement ECU)

As mentioned before, I read if one of the air bag circuits is active, this maybe a front collision sensors has been activated, or water damaged,
they can operate the air bags circuit, and lock out the fuel pump, to stop suppling fuel.in the event a front end collision.

(I do realise it hasn’t been in an accident to save others commenting)

But it seem the OP has done a lot of in-depth testing, and all seems correct, apart from the airbag light.

Last edited:

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
Depending the which airbag code it is, this could be the cause for the fuel pump to not operate.
(You may not need a replacement ECU)
Knowing the exact SRS code would be good because it could be as simple as a SDM Primary Key in BCM relearn which won't stop the car from starting or as you mentioned it could be the collision detection cutout. Not knowing the codes is the mystery!

73monaro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S3 ute. VE Calais
Update,…….
The VE now cranks! The previous owner had been trying to test the system with a test lamp and has caused one terminal lead to be loose in the connection to the anti theft module, now the BCM was getting the signal at time of testing, but I think that was because of the manipulation of the loom while testing, anyway re crimped the terminals and now at least I have crank again.

Still no signal from ecm to the fuel pump reg, 0 volts..

as for DTC, there are none showing, but check engine light is still on.. so I still am leaning to a fault in the ECM as it’s all that’s left that has been close to or even under water…

also if I bridge the fuel pump reg it will run on its own.

more to come….

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
as for DTC, there are none showing, but check engine light is still on.. so I still am leaning to a fault in the ECM as it’s all that’s left that has been close to or even under water…
What code reader are you using? Because a lot only read 1 or 2 systems in the car when say a tech 2 will read all 12 - 19 systems.
If your code reader does not read the SRS system and most don't then you really have no idea what is causing the engine light.

73monaro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S3 ute. VE Calais
What code reader are you using? Because a lot only read 1 or 2 systems in the car when say a tech 2 will read all 12 - 19 systems.
If your code reader does not read the SRS system and most don't then you really have no idea what is causing the engine light.

I know what you mean, I got sick of using the generic OB2 readers so researched for an affordable but well supported unit that could be utilised across a few manufacturers.
I settled on the icarsoft scanner tool, as even though it’s a US company they had a unit running Holden/Ford oz software (easily and free software updates), it scans 17 systems in my VE including the SRS system and was originally purchased to repair a 06 Territory, back in 2017, quite a good unit with live data and data capture, for what I do with it it’s fine, although I would love a tech2 just to double check sometimes….

thanks

Attachments

• EB60072A-C393-4670-897E-6EB6E001A733.jpeg
    EB60072A-C393-4670-897E-6EB6E001A733.jpeg
    63.8 KB · Views: 59